Pick your fish to introduce to the UK.

Stefan

It's a couple of years since this thread had an airing so lets revive it with the Yellowcheek Carp - a cold water predator from China and far eastern Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8e6WLWEwg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx8e6WLWEwg

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Nice looking fish and a good fight as well.

Very pleased (and surprised) to see it go back.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I would introduce real crucians and fine any water owner heavily for fake ones once the EA have been put out of business for looking the other way as we destroy our domestic ones ,there would also be fines on EA employees from the bottom to the top for their activity in brown goldfish pretending to be crucians and those that supply them put out of business for selling fake crucians

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

brown goldfish pretending to be crucians

With you 100% on this. Fish farms foist goldfish and hybrids on the angling world. Very few members of angling clubs (including those on committees charged with management and stocking) know a true crucian when they see one - and unfortunately, many of the "don't knows" don't care either.

.... and try telling someone their specimen "crucian" is a goldfish or a hybrid - waste of time unless you want to make an enemy for life.

Many years ago the SAME FISH held the crucian record and a year or so later (caught by someone else) was submitted for the goldfish record (or it could have been t'other way round) Once a sharp-eyed reader of Angling Times had linked the two photographs, both records were declared vacant. Does anyone else remember the incident ? About the 1970s or 1980s if memory serves me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes i think the record went to anything over 2lbs? But then you had to send the fish in for examination ,someone mentioned now its just a scale but i am not up to date with modern rules so could be wrong

There are some true crucians left in stockbridge but 99.9% caught are brown sometimes red goldfish .

Strangely at one stocking we had an EA officer (hate that word i prefer "employee")and i pointed out they were not crucians (not that i'm an expert but some were suspiciously reddish) he said some are like that so the crime is within the EA as well

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Slightly off-topic, but there is a big 'thing' currently ongoing where TRUE crucians are being made available FOC for stocking, subject to jumping through a few relatively painless hoops, and having an 'appropriate' water available!

Slightly off-topic, but there is a big 'thing' currently ongoing where TRUE crucians are being made available FOC for stocking, subject to jumping through a few relatively painless hoops, and having an 'appropriate' water available!

Any more info on this, my club is hoping to get some.

Any more info on this, my club is hoping to get some.

See http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=181408

• Like 1

Coo smacks of the nazi aryan crucian race of the 1930's but long overdue "you vill not breed with sub crucians" ,good intentions that if managed outright from a new pond could work but i think outside of carp orientated club waters it could work ,i cant see clubs (or more likely the members) settling for not bunging in cheap cross breeds when catch rates fall.

As a prospective future crucian record venue i have no doubt it would work but as a small syndicate water because wherever you go silly people insist on moving carp and cats under the cover of darkness for their own selfish reasons

Unfortunately if its like most lakes it probably is stream fed so a stocking upstream means and stocking to a small percent downstream ,in most cases fine (we noticed infant bream appearing from no-where but put two and two together and realised it was probably from the 4 lakes upstream that had undertaken dredging and restocking) so if there brown goldfish upstream it probably means sooner or later cross contamination and the hard work ruined so not just a new lake or sanitised old one but barriers to stop horny goldfish getting their end away with handsome crucians upstream

Edited by chesters1

How about this for a killer bleak? Chanodichthys erythropterus is another Asian species that ranges from Siberia and mongolia down to Vietnam.

It grows to 30lb and is variously referred to as the Skygazer or Predatory Carp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdG4D5xfgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdG4D5xfgM

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.