Saftey

Guest mmc1uk

I am doing a page on saftey on my shore angling site. Does anyone know if there is any proper guidlines I,E from the coastgaurd service or any other official source which I should follow.

Thanks

mmc

Guest Steve Burke

Dunno, but the RNLI recently offered to do a free safety check of small boats. To arrange a visit call 0800-328-0600. It may also be worth contacting life-jacket manufacturers such as Crewsaver(tel 01705-528621 or fax 0800-520895) re the rules on safety equipment.

Hi mmc, As far as I'm aware there are no set guidelines. However, I can give you a number of safety tips that we advocate in the angling press - mainly for rock fishing marks.

1 Never go rock fishing on your own, and always tell someone where you are going and what time they can expect to see you back.

2 Wear some form of buoyancy aid when fishing from rocks. A flotation suit is a good idea.

If you happen to get swept off by a freak swell you'll have a better chance of survival.

3 Take a mobile phone with you - this doesn't always work from rocky areas, but it might just save your life. (If you can afford it, carry a distress flare with you)

4 Wear sensible footware when climbing rocks - they can be very slippery, even when they look dry!

5 Always carry plenty of fluid and food with you, especially during the summer.

6 Don't try to fish rock marks that you don't know at night. When night fishing, always carry a spare source of light, and make sure you have an easy escape route from your chosen mark - just in case the swell gets too much.

Last, but not least,

7 Always use a suitable shockleader when casting from the shore - 60lb is a safe option.

Hope this helps - Dave B (Total Sea Fishing Magazine)

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by mmc1uk:

Cheers guys I will be sure to mention the help ive had on the pge

mmc

I would just like to add to Dave's tip on telling someone when you will be back.

Make sure you are back when you say and not giving it another hour or stopping off on the way home without informing "home base".

The coast guard take a dim view of looking for people reported missing when they are in the chippie or pub.

When casting, take one step back from where you originally wanted to cast from and call this a "safe step'.

Don't try and gaff or net fish if it is in the least bit dodgy, it's only a fish and not someone who is loved by others.

Think safety and stay safe.

Enjoy your rock fishing and come back safely.

Alan(nl)