Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in some information I was sent today from the B.A.S.S. BMP team.

"We are due to meet with Defra again very shortly, to dot the i's and cross the t's on the content of the BMP consultation papers. We're running behind schedule because Defra's legal teams have been in the High Court, defending last year's introduction of a ban on pair trawling within the 12 mile limit.

Greenpeace have taken the Fisheries Minister to court, claiming that the ban will force the pair teams to operate outside the UK's 12 mile limit, where they claim greater damage will be done to cetacean populations, such as the harbour porpoise and common dolphin."

Guest NickInTheNorth

Sometimes it's just a question of having the right technology:

Taken from the document refered to above.

quote:

Emptying our oceans of fish

Oliver Knowles, oceans campaign Globally, destructive fishing practices and overfishing are having a huge impact on ocean biodiversity and are recognised as a key threat to the marine environment – alongside climate change. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UNFAO) statistics show that three quarters of commercial fish stocks are either fully exploited or overexploited and that up to 90% of large predatory fish are already lost worldwide.

Today, if you want to buy seafood you’d be hard pressed to get it anywhere but in one of the UK’s major supermarket chains. Yet despite the enormous volumes and diversity of fish that they sell, supermarkets have given almost no attention to the impacts of taking so much fish from our oceans. UK supermarkets are in a position to make significant changes to the sustainability of seafood, and this is a the focus of our oceans work starting in the autumn.

Guest jay_con

Fantastic. I would like to do whatever I can to help and will be getting involved if they need volunteers.

Perhaps they should also be getting the supermarkets to be thinking of ways to kill the black market which is rife in our country.

SandTiger:

MJB, I must admit that I have not heard of this and given that Greenpeace were following pair trawlers recently it does sound a bit odd - Can you direct me to the source of your information?

Thanks mate    :)  

See http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=368

Greepeace contends that banning pair trawling only within 12 miles actually causes more harm to dolphins than good, because it forces the trawlers outside of 12 where even more dolphins will be killed.

(The unilateral UK ban only applies to UK boats fishing inside 12 miles. Outside of 12 miles UK boats have to be licensed by DEFRA to pair trawl for bass, limiting the number of UK vessels to what there already is)

Greenpeace wants the ban extended to the UK limits of 250miles.

Unfortunately, whilst we are in the CFP, we cannot do that (even if we were outside the CFP, we could only extend the ban to the median line).

DEFRA are in fact pushing the EU to extend the British ban, both to other nation's vessels that have a traditional (pre-CFP) right to fish in areas within out 12 mile limit (no other nation can come inside 6 miles), and to all EU vessels currently engaged in bass pair trawling within EU waters.

I'm not sure what Greepeace are playing at, they know this.

It could be that their claim that the 12 mile ban is more damaging is accepted, but a wider ban is not legally possible, so that the ban would be overturned and the UK bass pair trawlers allowed back inside 12 miles :(

Tight Lines - leon

[ 06. September 2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

@AUTUMN@:

Fantastic.  I would like to do whatever I can to help and will be getting involved if they need volunteers.

See: http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=366

Tight Lines - leon

[ 06. September 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Reading fishing news recently it says boats are now switching to pair trawling to save on fuel,this practice of fishing is the most destuctive to fish stocks and should be banned ,the trawlers down here are not seeing any haddock this year tthe reason why as local skipper told me this morning they were butchered last year when the herring spawned last year the pair trawlers from peterhead working down here which are 80-90ft boats with massive catching caperbilities and it now looks they did tremendous damage to the haddock stocks of this part of the east coast,i am not sure but i think greenpeace are challenging the 12 mile ruling because theysay they should be stopped pair trawling alltogher which seems logical that way of fishing will sweap the seas dry .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg