Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

Recreational Sea Anglers, as the name implies, fish purely for recreation, taking only what they are entitled to take for their own consumption.

Anyone who takes and sells fish is by definition a commercial fisherman, not a recreational angler.

Whether those fish caught and sold are caught by net or by rod and line, whether they are licensed or unlicensed, whether caught legally or not.

SACN and NFSA etc are just as much against illegal sales by rod and line commercial fishermen as by those who fish with nets.

It all takes fish and money away from honest licensed commercial fishermen, and destroys our sport.

I doubt very much that the amount of illegal selling by rod and line commercial fishermen comes fractionally close to that which is landed by the 'commercial' fleet!

Still, the Buyers and sellers registration regulations that came in force on 1st September should go some way to reducing the problem! :)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 09. September 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

binatone:

Big Cod or your local friends who love to slag of an industry that has traditionally fished what you call your local grounds, for as long as records began.

I ask, have you ever been trawling? Have you ever been out fishing beyond 60 miles?

Perhaps you could also explain what difference a yes or no answer would make?

If we have been trawling we can comment and if not we can keep our mouths shut??? I guess that is your point?

I have 3 immediate neighbours all X Trawlermen all of whom I trust and beleive. I bet you know what they have told me about your industry. Only as recent as last Monday I had the situation described to me in graphic detail. I also regulally read articles like :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4486347.stm

http://www.sundayherald.com/38206

http://www.sundayherald.com/38207

http://www.sundayherald.com/38181#fish

http://www.sundayherald.com/38205

So please tell me why your version of the truth is the right one and and that of recognised and objective sources like the BBC are wrong.

P.s Its not the size of the sea that concerns me, its what lives underneath the surface and why it has dissapeared.

How many fish do anglers take from the sea in a year?

Probably less than this

Posted Image

that's one haul of the net by a trawler called the Budding Rose. Now explain to me why four blokes who happen the have a large bank loan to pay off have the right to deplete a scarce resource to such an extent. And don't say this picture proves the sea is full of fish, that is what the Newfoundland trawlermen said as they recorded massive catches in the year before the stock completely collapsed. The few fish that were left were huddled together to be wiped out.

Guest jay_con

binatone:

Autumn.

You don’t want to go there mate. But neither does a skipper of an angling boat.

Besides the financial side of black fish economy there is the problem of records.

How much fish do anglers take from the sea in lets say a year from Whitby alone?

Can you tell me autmn? Have you any idea at all?

Can you guarantee anyone that not a single percentage of this fish is sold, by the angler or the skipper of the boat it was caught on? Well can you?

Black fish like the black economy is a way of life. We all know it happens it just has to be controlled to an acceptable level.

Sorry but I dont understand your point. I am not a fisherman so really dont know where your coming from.

As for not wanting to go there. Im more than happy to. Im quite happy to have an open an honest debate with yourself about what ever you wish. I have nothing to hide. THis is an open forum and we live in a free country so please feel free.

Guest johnfranz

I have 3 immediate neighbors all X Trawlermen all of whom I trust and believe. I bet you know what they have told me about your industry. Only as recent as last Monday I had the situation described to me in graphic detail. I also regularly read articles like:

I can explain what difference a yes and a no answer would make autumn. Yes means yes and no means no.

Did you say ex trawlermen? Bit like ex smokers.

Get your self down to the fisherman’s club autumn; I am sure there are loads of neighbor’s father’s brother’s sons who would tell you different tails to.

And who’s to say there not to be trusted or believed?

Guest jay_con

Personally, I dont drink so wont be joining you for a pint. As for the stories. I here they arent too different no matter who tells them.

Guest johnfranz

ColinW:

How many fish do anglers take from the sea in a year?

Probably less than this

Posted Image

that's one haul of the net by a trawler called the Budding Rose. Now explain to me why four blokes who happen the have a large bank loan to pay off have the right to deplete a scarce resource to such an extent. And don't say this picture proves the sea is full of fish, that is what the Newfoundland trawlermen said as they recorded massive catches in the year before the stock completely collapsed. The few fish that were left were huddled together to be wiped out.

Guest johnfranz

thats a good haul of cod.

thats what they try and do each time they fish.

notice the size of the mesh.

notice that there are no small fish amoung the haul.

and all that fish will be acounted for out of the quota that that boat would be given.

six or seven hucks and a jigger, sporting, ha ha.

what quota was the recreational anglers given last year?