Wreck Advice

Guest Elton

Can anyone help these guys, please:

We have a party of 8 people and we would like to go wreck/reef fishing around Plymouth/ Dartmouth in late November/early December. Experience is varied from a lifetime to a couple of trips. We would greatly appreciate a recommendation on who/where exactly to go/go with as we very recently had a nightmare experience in Whitby with antiquated gear etc etc. Cost is a factor but not a crucial one, more important is quality gear for the guys who will be hiring, coupled with consistent fishing for the experienced guys- ie, good mid-size/specimen fish rather than their grandchildren.

Hope you can help us

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by Elton:

We have a party of 8 people and we would like to go wreck/reef fishing around Plymouth/ Dartmouth in late November/early December. Experience is varied from a lifetime to a couple of trips. We would greatly appreciate a recommendation on who/where exactly to go/go with as we very recently had a nightmare experience in Whitby with antiquated gear etc etc. Cost is a factor but not a crucial one, more important is quality gear for the guys who will be hiring, coupled with consistent fishing for the experienced guys- ie, good mid-size/specimen fish rather than their grandchildren.

Hope you can help us

It's a long time since I fished out of Plymouth but I do know for a fact that the Weymouth boats are mostly fast and well equiped. The fishing is great but in January the pollock, coalie and cod come in to spawn so it is brilliant.

Chris Cains on Tiger Lilly was voted charter boat skipper of the year by Angling Times but I found all of the skippers were top draw.

I also found that the Weymouth boats were consistant where other ports had 2 fish limits at one price keep it all at another and various prices for various distances travelled to fishing marks. Get the full facts first in writing.

If you decide to fish Weymouth, email me and I will give you some addresses.

Good idea to book soon though

Alan(nl)

Guest Alan Taylor

Hope you can help us

Just had another thought, no matter where you decide to fish from you will need some tide but as you have some novices with you, ask the skipper for a date without too much tide, ie avoid full springs or you could end up using 2lb of lead and with a 15lb pollock on in a couple of hundred feet of water it gets to be a bit tough.

Also ask what artificial lures he reccomends as I have found that what works in one place does not work so well in others. Don't stick with just one colour either, watch and see what colour is catching at what depth as the colours change at different depths. Don't know why though.

Alan(nl)

Guest RobStubbs

We fished from Weymouth and the boat we used was Offshore rebel a very nice boat and skipper - and he has a very good reputation.

Whatever you do you need to make sure the skipper has the right gear for you to hire. He should also be able to tell you what terminal gear you'll need. Wherever you go you'll need leads from 6 or 8 ounces up to 2lb, even on the smallest tides. Most boats will drift for a while and anchor up in the slack water period. So you'll need something like conger gear for on the anchor and pirks, feathers, lures on the drift.

Whichever boat you choose make sure it's reputable. If you have trouble getting a booking then that's a good sign. Don't go for the cheapest or the one that can take you out anytime you want. The reason they're not out is probably because they are not much good.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alan Taylor

Hope you can help us