THE COD ARE COMING.

Guest jay_con

winter:

I honestly feel sorry for trawler owners who are struggleing with big bank loans.

I've brought this up before. The money lenders are making more out of fishing than the fisherman.

Perhaps anglers should take a look at who they themselves bank with and put pressure on in a different way!

[ 27. September 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't beleive we've made (is that the EU?) such a mess of this.

In Iceland they saved their industry by strict controls - if small fish are found in an area then fishing there is banned for a period - this is rigorously enforced with punitve fines.

As less fish were caught they were worth more; the VALUE of the catch remains the constant, as do fish stocks which means the fishermen can plan. What's more, they now even export to Europe as they have excess fish, and due to our shortage, the price is high.

I know somebody who surveyed on the trawlers, 1/3 caught was 'by-catch', and thrown back in dead. Criminal.

Norfolk boy, 100% correct i have been saying the same thing on here but know one gets my point.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

i think i said similer above about fish prices. I agree 100 percent. I dont think any skipper would agree with us though. If fish are size theyll catch it and land it.

I agree somewhat with what you say winter, but i think norflok boys point was in iceland as soon as an area is producing any numbers of immature fish that said area is closed for as period to allow the fish to grow, a sort of nursery area if you like. Surely that is acheivable here??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"