Getting caught?

Pangolin

Most fisheries have rules, sometimes about baits and groundbaits, sometimes about barbs on hooks. Being generally law-abiding, I tend to respect these rules, even going to the length of having two sets of hooks, one barbed and one barbless, in my tackle box to suit different fisheries. As I fish mainly day-ticket waters, I'm used to seeing a baliff strolling along the bank towards me: he asks for the money, I pay, and he goes along to the next angler. I have never been asked to show what terminal tackle I'm using or what bait I'm using. The baliff sometimes asks if I've caught anything and, occasionally, offers an opinion on how I might catch more.

I just wondered if anyone has ever had experience of being caught out using the wrong tackle or methods, and just what a day-ticket baliff can do about it....

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Only once at a caravan park in Cleethorpes.

My missus had booked us in for a week in a 'super duper mega delux van' at this park & it was inclusive of everything the park had to offer including fishing the two small ponds on site.

On the first day I went into reception to get my 'ticket' and on giving my van # was told "Oh 'Mr Toggle' you don't need a ticket, your on the 'all inclusive' mega deal, just fish when you like, & can I come round & service you later".

So latter in the day I was chucking out a great big feeder covered in groundbait with pellet on the end and was getting the odd stare from anglers opposite, Along comes the 'bailiff' checking their day tickets & having a chat, often he then looks over at me pulling in the carp, eventually he gets to me -

B "ticket"

T "nope don't need one"

B "yes you do!"

T "nope I'm on the 'mega deal' van #xxx"

B "hmmm, and what you got on the end?"

so I show him my next 'big package' ready for chucking in next cast.

B "Bloody hell, haven’t you read the rules?"

T "rules - what rules?, fish how & when you like she said!"(and implied she'd like to have my babies!)

B "the ones printed on the ticket"

T "Ticket - 'no ticket required sir' you’re on the 'mega deal'".

Eventually the bailiff got back to me & apologised for the confusion, he gave me a special ticket he had made out for my weeks stay but all the normal petty rules were on the back (no groundbait, method feeders, boilies etc etc etc).

So there you have it, just plead ignorance & carry on regardless! it worked for me

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Only ever been asked to actually show my terminal tackle once, and I got rather annoyed at it.

Well more rather annoyed that the baliff stood 10 yards away, watched me fill 2 PVA bags and make two very tricky 50-60 yard casts to tiny holes in weed, and THEN walked over and said he wanted to check I was using barbless!

He also wasn't happy at picking one rod to check, he insisted I reel both in, and checked both hooks by sticking them in his jumper.

Needless to say that with that sort of attitude he's not seen any of my day ticket money since!

Mat

Mat Hillman:

Only ever been asked to actually show my terminal tackle once,  and I got rather annoyed at it.

Well more rather annoyed that the baliff stood 10 yards away,  watched me fill 2 PVA bags and make two very tricky 50-60 yard casts to tiny holes in weed,  and THEN walked over and said he wanted to check I was using barbless!

He also wasn't happy at picking one rod to check,  he insisted I reel both in,  and checked both hooks by sticking them in his jumper.

Needless to say that with that sort of attitude he's not seen any of my day ticket money since!

LOL :D:D

That has happend to me at my club water.

I had knocked the baliff out of the club singles knockout the week before.

On a short carp session I saw him talking to the anler in the next peg.

I also had just made two tricky casts when along he come with his pair of tights.

I know it was a wind up but it is annoying all the same.

He has banned over 20 members in the last two years alone for not dipping nets and for using barbed hooks.

He has also issued warnings for minor offences.

Private day ticket waters have the right to kick you off their water if breaking the rules.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!