trawling for sand eels

Alan Taylor

I have just ordered a sand eel trawl, I have the doors and warps. I went for doors instead of a beam as they are easier to stow away in the van.

The trawl is completely legal as it is 2m 20cm. I am not allowed any other sort of fishing method on the boat at the same time as the trawl, ie rods.

I was just wondering if any one has used a sand eel trawl, what sort of speed should I be looking at over the ground with or against the tide?

The doors weigh 9kilo each and the warps are 10mm pollyprop 80mtrs long (fishing in 20mtr of water)

Any help/advice would be appreciated on here or by pm.

This is not a commercial venture, just having enough sand eels for a couple of days fishing.

Cheers

Alan

[ 27. September 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan, where did you gat the net from and what price was it if you dont mind me asking??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Got it from a mate who has a mate that makes them, they are €100 and should be ready in 2 weeks. The net is actually classed as a prawn net but where there are prawns there are sand eels.

Under Dutch law I am restricted on the size across the mouth of the net.

I have a Sole net that I hope to be giving a try out on Wednesday if I can get the warps ready in time. :(:)

Alan

[ 27. September 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

I keep looking for a reasonable eel net to use on my boat for bait. I have the Tank, seawater pump amd aerator all fitted but can't find a decent net at a reasonable price.

'The Old Chap' that used to net and sell live sand eels all around the country seems to have died!!!!!!

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

PS..........

An old friend of mine has given up fishing etc due to a gammie leg.... He now makes prawn nets, drop nets etc and does a darn good job...

we have no idea whatsoever on the design for a Eel net so if anybody has a plan or drawing I might be able to get some made up if anybody is interested.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

phil dean:

that's all very keen alan, are you going to set up the pumps etc as well?

One step at a time Phil. If the Sole and sand eel nets both work the next thing is to sell our boat and get a work boat with a diesel inboard a bit like this one www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F45038 Hope that works.

I have just spoken to the owner and he says it only does 5 knots, the electrics need a lot of work and the paint job is not as good as in the picture.

I would then set up tanks like ChrisP has and take it from there.

Before everyone gets trawl itis, I did as well on Joey macks and scads for the Bass in Wales and Lymington :D

Cheers

Alan

Guest gus angus

hi guys, trawling for sand eel is done at slack water. speed over the ground about two knots.( at slack water the eels rise in colums and can be easily seen on the fish finder.)