trawling for sand eels

Alan Taylor

alan youd better delete this post before winter sees it or you be getting classed as a crooked trawlerman!! seriously though id love to see some pics of your results??

Whats the legalities of doing this in the U.K??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Legalities - if you wish to sell part or all of your catch you will need a license I think, and they are not cheap. Being licensed involves having a certain amount of safety gear & qualifications I think.

For sandeel trawls, ask Chris Tett skipper of 'Peace & Plenty', he uses one.

myweb.tiscali.co.uk/peaceandplenty/...y/boat_pics.htm

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

gus angus:

hi guys, trawling for sand eel is done at slack water. speed over the ground about two knots.( at slack water the eels rise in colums and can be easily seen on the fish finder.)

Thanks Gus, spot on I hope :)

I have no idea how the law is in the UK with regards to trawling with an under 10mtr boat.

I do remember a cartain person in Brixham that would sell his fish directly from the boat so technicly he did not land his catch :(

The type of trawl that I have for Sole is classed as a hobby, thats why it is so small and as I mentioned before I must not have any other method of fishing on the boat, rod and reel. I can't sell my catch either :) if I catch :(

One more point, I have made sure that I know the rules for my area, Holland, I would sugest you do some checking for your part of the country. We are very well policed here so it is not worth taking any risks, automatic on the spot fine of €1000 plus loss of the fishing gear :cool:

Alan

[ 27. September 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

thurso angler:

Alan can you post some pics of your results??

Of course I will, getting out is the problem at the moment, back up to 4 to 5 so thats another day gone. I don't feel too bad because they are very big tides for the next few days and its 25 years since I used a trawl single handed. I have a safety harness from my scaffolding days that will let me reach any part of the boat so am happy on the safety side of things.

The Eel/crab traps are baited up so will be taking them up in the morning and having a chat with the netmakers, we drink so much coffee that I make sure I have a bucket in the van :D

Alan

[ 28. September 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

My sandeel push net is finally made (3mm knotless mesh located in Clacton) - am I too late to try it? When do sandeels swim off to warmer places (if they do?)

Alan, I don't think I'd be too keen on trawling in shallow water with Salar, East Winner Bank is always swarming with terns at low tide but its not a fun place to go aground :( Let us know how you get on.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Salar:

When do sandeels swim off to warmer places (if they do?)

Alan, I don't think I'd be too keen on trawling in shallow water with Salar, East Winner Bank is always swarming with terns at low tide but its not a fun place to go aground :( Let us know how you get on.

Salar, I have found sandeels in Cod guts all winter on the off shore wrecks.

As for trawling shallow water/banks, that is a NO NO. The idea of me getting a trawl is that we don't have the shallow banks.

I put the 4 eel/crab traps out yesterday, hauled one up after 2 hours and had 10 crabs in it. Baited with Herring heads. Now just have to figure out how to get them to fatten up and cast there shells, plenty of time for that later.

I got the warp rope yesterday for the Sole net, 4 strand 10mm polly prop, 4 strand because 3 strand twists with the lay of the rope, 200mtrs, I need 4 times the depth of the water (20mtrs) so 2x80 mtrs. 4 stainless steel clips plus 1 big one, total cost €48.76 so the total cost for the project is €248.76 + fuel going up to the boat. I now have to run the warps out and mark them every 10mtrs with 3 different coloured lines to make sure that they shoot and haul evenly.

The sandeel trawl will be ready in 2 weeks and is being rigged for doors and not a beam, €100.

You are all probably thinking I am round the twist, well let me tell you that these little projects are the only thing that stop me from having a mental breakdown and thats strait from the Doctor :(

I will let you know how I get on with the Sole net, could be enough for a nice supper :)

Alan