Best chub baits

fishermanlewis

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the best chub baits you have ever come across? and how to fish it for chub?

also best rigs? im stuck for how to get the best results i can when i go fishing for chub.

HELP! :o

Perhaps you could describe the kind of places you fish for chub? That will help with tactics and rigs. As for baits, if I could only ever use one bait for chub, it would be bread.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What rivers are you likely to be fishing? Nearly all my chub fishing is done with maggots (Occasionally lobs or bread). The trick here is to keep trickling in the bait to get them feeding confidently.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A size 3 Mepps Agila in silver takes some beating.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

During the winter months theres nothing i like more than a good old traditional bucket of bread mash. And bread on the hook. What i do is walk the stretch before i start and bait all the likely looking spots, If the rivers a bit pacy i will use a bait dropper to get the mash on the bottom. This way you will give the chub time to find the bait and get feeding confidently. I will give each swim about half an hour if i dont get a fish i move on to the next one. If theres anything in a swim i find you will uasully get it pretty quick. on aririval at each new swim i will intruduce a bit more mash by hand. Keep the rigs as simple as possible, Mostly i just use a simple swan link ledger. You can add or remove weight to it according to the current. Trotting can be a good way of working the swim aswell. Other baits that are good in the winter are cheese paste and luncheon meat. and garlic sausage. The beauty of smelly baits is you can often get a take from a likely spot without putting any other freebies in. As the bait alone is enough to attract the fish to take. Dont forget that you will often get a better stamp of fish at dusk or just after dark

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Bread

Cheese Paste

Maggot

Halibut Pellet

Prawn

Sweet Corn

Slug

Boilies

Luncheon meat

Raw meat (steak)

Fish

Flies

Lures

Thats a bit of a start, I don't think there is much chub wont eat.

When it comes to pick off the better ones I think it pays to watch what others are doing and try something different.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Bread

Cheese Paste

Maggot

Halibut Pellet

Prawn

Sweet Corn

Slug

Boilies

Luncheon meat

Raw meat (steak)

Fish

Flies

Lures

Thats a bit of a start, I don't think there is much chub wont eat.

One could add

Lobworm

Other worms

Razorfish - Once tried some tinned razorfish that was in my sandwiches - caught two chub in quick succession before I ran out of bait (I had eaten it :) )

Whelk and various other shellfish

As you say, it is difficult to think of anything edible a chub WONT eat.

I have found a BIG black or brown slug is quite selective for the bigger chub - too many of the other baits suffer from half-pounders getting to the bait first - it is amazing how small a chub can ingest a lump of bread flake the size of a matchbox!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As Vagabond said there's almost nothing that a chub won't eat. In fact, chub have a more varied diet than any other fish I know.

At this time of year my favourite baits are breadflake, breadcrust and whitebait.

The advantage of bread is its buoyancy. You can easily vary this by squeezing it or using a piece of different size. This enables you to get your bait exactly where you want it, including underneath overhanging trees. Bread can also be easily flavoured, so you can always be presenting something new.

Whitebait (the fry of sprats and herrings) are particularly good when you want a smelly bait such as in coloured water. I also find the average size of fish caught on whitebait to be higher. Make sure you buy individually frozen whitebait rather than the blocks. This is because you need to defrost the latter somewhat to use them and it's harder to keep them on the hook. The individual ones are usually somewhat larger and I find work well with a size 8 hook in through the lips or eye socket and out of the harder skull.

Using the wrong bait might prevent you catching on very pressured waters. But if you're not catching it's more likely to be something else. The most likely candidates are that you either haven't found the fish, or that you've spooked them - something that's really easy with chub.

For more on winter chub see this article of mine: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...er_fishing.html

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A bait I'd really like to try for chub is chunks of lamprey, but on my local rivers it'd be covered in crayfish within seconds.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A bait I'd really like to try for chub is chunks of lamprey, but on my local rivers it'd be covered in crayfish within seconds.

Anderoo the bit that we fished on the thames is free of the little critters at the moment anyway and i often see guys Chubbing with small chunks of Mackrel etc and they catch there fair share,been mentioned before but i am sure that those unhittable screaming takes whilst deadbaiting where the Sardine comes back much longer than when it was cast out must be chub Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: