still no mullet!!

manxlad

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WeymouthSean:

Unfortuately my baiting seem to attract ducks from the whole area and it was game over for me!

Never had to try it myself, but I've heard that if you die your bread with green vegetable dye, the ducks will ignore it, but not the mullet :)

Let me know if it works!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

Originally posted by WeymouthSean:

[qb] Unfortuately my baiting seem to attract ducks from the whole area and it was game over for me!

Never had to try it myself, but I've heard that if you die your bread with green vegetable dye, the ducks will ignore it, but not the mullet :)

As I recall its not Ducks Leon has to worry about on Sun Pier ... but thousands of swans at the first sight of floating crust ...... need more than green veggie dye to hold them back LOL

But then one would miss the Roskilly landing net and hissing dance ....... performed at least 3 times a trip, with star turns on request..... :D

As gross as it may sound when the mullet are really picky i always have a couple of loaves that i let go really mouldy. I use the crust as bait and the rest for surface groundbaiting. Works well for me to.

Caught my first mullet of the season only about 1Ib but it was a start. Caught it on a low tide with a shoal that I managed to get feeding on a little floating crust. Got two bites missd the first and hit the second. What was funny was a had baited an area all day without a bite. Moved down the harbour a bit where I located the shoal throw out a few crust's and caught the fish after only about 10 minutes! Where's the logic in that! Bites seem little and far between only really had those two bites all day! Most of the mullet seemed to be about 30-40 yards in the middle of the harbour. What sort of floats can you use when the mullet are that far out. I tried a small carp float but don't think it was sensitive enough to detect bites. Also couldn't get my ground bait out enough to them maybe I should invest in a catapult? Does anyone else use one?

WeymouthSean:

What sort of floats can you use when the mullet are that far out.

Attach a water-filled bubble float to your line, with a paternoster above.

Attach your float (long piece of peacock quill cast aerodynamicly and be visible at a distance), weights and baited hook to the paternoster.

You'll get the distance but you'll scare the wits out of any mullet you cast to directly!

If you cant get your groundbait out, using a catapult, throwing stick (piece of plastic pipe works well), or long-handled spoon, put some dry crumpled bread into a PVA bag, and attach that to the rig.

In fact, thinking about it, you could try wrapping some bread-mash in plastic film, put that into a pva-bag and use that as casting weight, instead of a bubble float.

But I don't like the idea of abandoning the piece of cling film to the tide - litter :(

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

WeymouthSean:

What sort of floats can you use when the mullet are that far out. I tried a small carp float but don't think it was sensitive enough to detect bites.

I use a drennen controller attatched to an american snap swivel. I tie the swivel to the main line and tie a rods lenth of leader to the bottom eye this gives you a straight bite indication to the main line. I cast to about 10 yards past the mullet and very slowly retrive till the bait is in place. Works very very well for surface feeders. Works for those under the surface to

good to see that some of you guys are getting into fish, all be it very sparse, still nothing showing here, so am getting very frustrated!!! :(

sea temp 11c today and conditions perfect.

got to be soon, have been out been out for an early bass but nothing also..if this carrys on i will have to spoil a good walk and take up golf!!!! :D:D

if and when i actually get a fish, how do you post photos on this site? might sound a stupid question but i am not that smart with computer techo!

tight lines too all

paul....

Guest sslatter

Went out on Monday with a friend and fished five hours of the rising tide on the local tidal stretch of river. Lost a decent fish which was on for about 5 seconds and which came straight towards me at speed. Another two bounced off at the strike as per often, and had another couple of missed bites, all archetypal mullet bites. We ended the session with one tiny bass between us. But it was good to catch up with one or two of the locals, who told of the odd fish being taken recently, but which were all thinlipped, as was the one fish I've had so far this year.