match anglers

maximo

you might think youre a excellent angler and im sure many of you are,but do you think you could take on and beat some of the top match anglers,some of these guys can catch fish while all around struggle.

what do you think.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Were not all perfect stan. Plus many competitions these days are catch and release.

Me I prefer to catch the bigger ones. On my day I could do well in my own backyard. But I Know I couldnt compete in most situations. I started too late and only focus on 1 type of fishing. A couple of guys I know could do pretty well I think. Got to be realistic. If it came down to cod fishing on a night in winter I would fair ok. If I took some of those guys to some of my favorite marks I am confident I could beat them more than 50 percent of the time.

Match anglers, in any discipline, work so hard for their fish.

For me, that would take a lot of the fun out of it. I fish to relax, not compete.

Let them do what they do and beat me, I say. that way, we're both happy :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest stevie cop

I fish against fish, not men.

Who cares who can fish the fastest? It's not meant to be a race. When we can't catch our target species, we could all change tactics and go scratching around for rubbish, but what's the point?

I've fished a few competitions, and I've got carried away with the added excitement. But come the weigh in, I've felt disgusted with myself for bringing rubbish fish to the scales dead. That's why I won't do it any more.

Guest STAN

Steve Coppolo:

I fish against fish, not men.

Who cares who can fish the fastest? It's not meant to be a race. When we can't catch our target species, we could all change tactics and go scratching around for rubbish, but what's the point?

I've fished a few competitions, and I've got carried away with the added excitement. But come the weigh in, I've felt disgusted with myself for bringing rubbish fish to the scales dead. That's why I won't do it any more.

spot on steve :D:D

I take it you never won, then, Steve? :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Guest stevie cop

I fished in five competitions. I won three, came third in another and bombed out in the other! It doesn't prove anything. I've fished with some very good anglers, and I have to say the better ones aren't match anglers!

I've never done a match.

Don't know if you fish the beaches around here, but a couple of times I've been approached by a guy at Felixstowe who is something to do with the Evening Star fishing league thing.

Nothing against the guy (he seems really pleasant), but it just doesn't float my boat at all.

I fish to relax, try not to spend £100 on bait and don't have tackle that will see me hit 200 yards every chuck.

Having said that, it is fun on charters to have a 'first fish - most fish - biggest fish' pool, but that's usually only a quid or two.

I think that if match fishing can go the 'measure and return' route, though, it should be encouraged. Even though I'm not interested, the innovation that comes from their commitment to catching fish against the odds can only help the rest of us.