Update on Angling Trust

Bob Bradford

A Trust For All Anglers

By Press Release

The merger of six angling and conservation bodies creating the Angling Trust, the new voice of angling, was completed to plan on Monday, January 5 2009.

"It is an organisation angling has needed for many years," said Stephen Marsh-Smith, the first chairman of the Trust. "It represents more than a million regular coarse, game and sea anglers in England. Angling contributes £3.5 billion to the economy and supports 37,000 jobs."

Embodying all the assets and staff of the legacy organisations, the trust will be publicly launched at 10 am next Wednesday, January 14 at the Fishmongers' Hall, London Bridge.

Among the guests will be Martin Salter MP, the government's spokesman for angling and shooting.

Dr. Marsh-Smith said nearly 2,500 individual anglers and clubs had already signed-up to the trust which would "run a forthright campaign to conserve marine and freshwater fisheries, promote and protect all recreational angling against commercial overfishing, habitat destruction, poaching and disease.

"We also plan to develop coaching and education for new and experienced anglers, increase participation in national and international competitions and tackle the growing problem of the predators which attack our fisheries.

"It is an ambitious programme but we believe anglers will support us and we are encouraged by the supportive messages we have already received," Dr. Marsh-Smith added.

Individual membership is £20 a year which includes public liability insurance, newsletters and magazines. Members will be enrolled in Fish for Free (www.fishforfree.net) an innovative loyalty programme which generates credits for fishing equipment, permits and the freshwater rod licence. Clubs will be able to join Fish Legal which provides advice and takes action against polluters.

Mark Lloyd, chief executive of the Angling Trust said: "Now that we have a single body for all anglers with comprehensive benefits, we look forward to their support and to working for and with them. We will only be able to do that if we have the mandate and the resources to do so."

The Angling Trust's web site www.anglingtrust.net is now live and will be developed further over the next few weeks. Anglers can sign up on-line, by telephone or by post.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same press release I published on Anglers' Net a few days ago:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/angling-trust-0109.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I had a voicemail left by one of the big newspapers today. I'm not sure if they got hold of somebody who was able to reply in time, but the coverage may well not all be what some people expect.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

BBC Audio Report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/7827868.stm

The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/...t-EU-rules.html

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

There are a couple of things that concern me:

1. If this organisation represents us all, why do we need to part with cash to become a member?

2. If they represent all anglers, what mechanisms are in place for non-members to have their views relayed to the appropriate authorities?

There are a couple of things that concern me:

1. If this organisation represents us all, why do we need to part with cash to become a member?

2. If they represent all anglers, what mechanisms are in place for non-members to have their views relayed to the appropriate authorities?

Elton,

Try emailing admin@anglingtrust.net

You might get an answer.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have done, Leon. I was hoping somebody on here may know. We'll see.