Update on Angling Trust

Bob Bradford

Looks like everyone is joining in now Paul. A local wrote into the paper today - whitby gazette in support of the under 10's saying anglers can take as much fish as they want whilst they, the under 10's, are restricted to a box a day.

It made Interesting reading.

Looks like he wanted to start a war. Where will it all end ?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problems that we have coming, and which has led to article 47, are because Recreational Sea Angling is included in the EU term 'Recreational Fishing'.

This term includes so called 'Recreational Fishers' who use pots, nets and trawls, often taking substantial catches compared to anglers which, although supposedly targeted to feed their families, often produce a surplus catch which is then traded or sold within their own communities, and wider afield.

From what you've written there, I assume that it's O.K if Article 47 applies to hobby potters and netters in the UK?

If so, on what grounds? You mention that these hobby fishers aften take substantial catches. Well, I'd like to know what you mean by often and substantial. On what, exactly, are your findings based? Hearsay, myth, rumour? All of those things? Or is there a set of figures, somewhere, for these landings? If not, then your willingness to heap Article 47 on hobby netters and potters, with no evidence to suggest that it's necessary, is no better than someone else wanting to heap it upon us.

Whilst on the subject; maybe this makes it a bit clearer, for those still in denial, that the data gathering excercises being carried out at the moment will provide the 'evidence' needed to impose those restrictions on sea anglers. Are Cefas or Nasty Nature carrying out a data gathering excercise on hobby netters and potters? I can't imagine that they are, because hobby netters and potters don't have a misrepresentative body selling them down the river by co-operating with any such scheme.

Yet more questions go un-answered by sea angling's most infamous, unelected, mouth piece.

If only the same restraint had been excercised in front of the politicians and civil servants who are now in the process of ruining our sport, on the strength of what they've been told we all want, by someone who doesn't know.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
Looks like everyone is joining in now Paul. A local wrote into the paper today - whitby gazette in support of the under 10's saying anglers can take as much fish as they want whilst they, the under 10's, are restricted to a box a day.

It made Interesting reading.

Looks like he wanted to start a war. Where will it all end ?

Cannot say that I was surprised.

also found the bit that he mentioned about I quote” some (meaning angling boats) can be seen filleting box after box on a regular basis.” he also went on to say “with all this revenue from angling £2m and £3m from tourism, I do wonder why we have to pay council tax at all”

I know the person that wrote the letter in response to another letter and these are not the people who (as I have said many times before) you want to be going to war with.

Regards.

To the tune of "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"

I'd like to build Whitby a boat

And furnish it with love

Tie on pennel rigs and squid jigs

And share my filleting glove

I'd like to teach Whitby to fish

In perfect harmony

I'd like to take it 12 miles off

And pull out half the sea

I'd like to see Whitby for once

All fishing hand in hand

And hear them steaming back to port

With all those cod to land

etc.....

:D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest challenge

And furnish it with love

In perfect harmony

All fishing hand in hand

etc.....

:clap2::clap2: love it, love it, love it. :clap::clap:

And furnish it with love

In perfect harmony

All fishing hand in hand

etc.....

Nice rhyme Elton. You remind me of Ramrod on the Whitby forum. Always able to put something together to make you laugh.

On a more serious note I was speaking of all the hassel this business is causing. Grown men almost coming to blows over thier early morning cups of tea. I was talking to someone who had witnessed the closing of the pits and he described how people who were friends ended up fighting each other in pubs etc other things said and rhumours spread.

Seems to me the same thing is happening in because of all this article 47 and CEFAS Questionnaire crap. Communities are being split, and for what gain ??

So if you can teach people in Whitby to love each other Elton, good luck, but at the moment it dont look good.

Just to cheer you up. Have you seen this one :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-ea...led-sea-angling

Edited by glennk

Hey, I think some of your guys need to take notice of 'normal' recreational anglers.

I don't represent them, but most likely I am one.

Certainly my fishy pals find some of this stuff repulsive.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/chiefta...r-t1046090.html

I keep fish for eating, when I fancy.

'Chieftain' appears to us non-combatants to be a boat which aims to take whatever comes to hook.

Believe me, please, that is not a criticism, just a comparison with what we do darn south.

I'm worried for my (CEFAS VIId) area's Under 10s (fin-fish and shellfish) and Charter Boats that we will almost certainly be roped in with the quite massive takes you chaps make.

Lucky you.

At least we have someone to blame.

Be careful what you wish for .... (yes, I hate that sentence).

B)

Hey, I think some of your guys need to take notice of 'normal' recreational anglers.

I don't represent them, but most likely I am one.

Certainly my fishy pals find some of this stuff repulsive.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/chiefta...r-t1046090.html

I keep fish for eating, when I fancy.

'Chieftain' appears to us non-combatants to be a boat which aims to take whatever comes to hook.

Believe me, please, that is not a criticism, just a comparison with what we do darn south.

I'm worried for my (CEFAS VIId) area's Under 10s (fin-fish and shellfish) and Charter Boats that we will almost certainly be roped in with the quite massive takes you chaps make.

Lucky you.

At least we have someone to blame.

Be careful what you wish for .... (yes, I hate that sentence).

B)

Are you sure Ha, what’s normal? would your normal friends be normal if the cod fishing that the Chieftain and even the inshore charter boats of Whitby have was with in range of them down south, would the Whitby anglers be of the same mind if they were catching smooth hound instead of cod, I doubt it.

I know the Anglers here at times collectively catch and keep as much as the Chieftain from the wrecks with in their range during fine weather in the summer and if the same cod fishing were to be closer to port then even more would take advantage of it.

Perhaps being normal is governed by location, if cod were as abundant as they are off Whitby every where you would be of a small minority Ha and not considered normal at all.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel

You guys just don't get it. You never will.

I can accept that.

You're just too damn greedy.

We fish with a passion for angling.

That's the difference.

B)