Update on Angling Trust

Bob Bradford

A decent enough debate Elton, but I have yet to read, hear or be told of a compelling, factual reason NOT to join Angling Trust, I believe that is because that particular argument does not exist, fine if an angler chooses it is not for him, but it is hard to back that choice up with sound ,logical reasons for not doing so,........other than "I do not wish to".

What seems to be a common factor when reading the various forums is a reluctance to contact http://www.anglingtrust.net directly and seek the facts , instead seeking the facts elsewhere and by default, picking up on other peoples opinions and views, thus clouding the issue somewhat.

Have you discounted my post 27.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent enough debate Elton, but I have yet to read, hear or be told of a compelling, factual reason NOT to join Angling Trust, I believe that is because that particular argument does not exist, fine if an angler chooses it is not for him, but it is hard to back that choice up with sound ,logical reasons for not doing so,........other than "I do not wish to".

What seems to be a common factor when reading the various forums is a reluctance to contact http://www.anglingtrust.net directly and seek the facts , instead seeking the facts elsewhere and by default, picking up on other peoples opinions and views, thus clouding the issue somewhat.

Hi Bob

How about this?

"When you consider that sea angling's representative of the AT actually supports the study that Cefas are doing into sea anglers' catches, which will probably be used to impose unnecessary restriction upon them, including those contained within article 47, you can see why some of it is directed at the AT."

As a sea angler, this seems a good enough reason for me not to join.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

No Barry I have not discounted your post 27, I will ask though ,have you raised this question with Angling Trust?

Steve, I urge you to do likewise, you are using words like "probably" have you asked AT for a definitive answer mate?

Edited by Bob Bradford

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

No Barry I have not discounted your post 27, I will ask though ,have you raised this question with Angling Trust?

Steve, I urge you to do likewise, you are using words like "probably" have you asked AT for a definitive answer mate?

Might try that, however the last org, nfsa, i was not a member, i did however send email questions etc but was ignored. Has it changed now?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Well, lets put it this way Barry, I have never met nor know Mark Lloyd the Chief Executive of AT, but I have recently (in the last week) contacted him via e-mail, and despite being extremely busy ,he has personally replied on EVERY occasion to date, I am compelled to say , I am impressed with the man....and told him so!

Take a look at this link, as I have already stated, I do not know enough about sea angling issues to offer an informed opinion, but reading this on the Angling Trust website gives me some hope that the issues involved are being processed.

http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?secti...nTitle=About+Us

Hi Bob

I can't see any further into the future than anyone at the Angling Trust, so "probably" is about as definitive as I, or they, can get with regard to possible outcomes of the study. However, I would have hoped that they would be able to see the threat and act accordingly, instead of supporting the idea of sea anglers logging their catches - which I find unacceptable.

I will take your advice, though. I'll send them an email asking what their position is on this issue, but unless Richard Ferre's position has changed drastically, I don't expect any surprises.

EDIT: I've just fired off my email. I'll let you know if and when I get a response.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

Thanks Steve and Barry, the replies should make for some interesting reading, I know the issues surrounding sea anglers are complicated, there is bitter resentment on all sides, lets hope a solution can be reached, in my experience though, compromise is King.

Hi Bob

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Sometimes I need to step back a little from forums and conservation related topics. It's just too damned infuriating when you have a very good knowledge of what's going on, outside of the limelight.

It would take me a week to run through all the ins and outs of the past few years activities. I think most of the big topics are covered on the AN archives, if you feel up to searching them out.

What I will say, is this. If we cast our minds back, the freshwater lobby were not so long ago very unhappy that the EA didn't appear to be protecting fish stocks from removal by Eastern Europeans (amongst others).

The answer, according to some of the big hitters currently pushing the Angling Trust at every available opportunity, was to withhold licence revenues for a set period of time to cause the EA temporary financial hardship, and hopefully force their hand into some much called for action.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my thoughts concerning the AT, the representation of sea anglers and a concentration on the real issues, such as Eastern Europeans, albeit with bloody great beam trawlers, are no different.

If I see change, £20 is in the post..........and not before.

PS.

lets hope a solution can be reached, in my experience though, compromise is King.

Compromise, is, and always will be, our undoing.

Either sea anglers wishes demonstrably come first (members and non members alike!), the freedoms that the make the pastime so appealing are vehemently upheld, and all representations are made with complete transparency, or we aren't playing.

Edited by Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte, you have made a fair and valid point, after I read your latest post , I scanned the Angling Trust website, to be fair, the info given on it is vague and non specific, it really looks to me as though Angling Trust are inviting anglers to contact them , and if they feel there is a case to be answered the Trust will pick up the baton and run with it , I lifted this off their website, I hope it helps, you have probably already read this piece though!

"WWF UK, has provided three years’ funding to help the Angling Trust campaign on issues

affecting the water environment. This global wildlife charity recognises that anglers could have a very powerful voice to persuade decision makers to protect aquatic ecosystems from damage from pollution, over-abstraction and habitat degradation. All these threats will be made worse by climate change as rainfall patterns change and global temperatures increase; fisheries in rivers, lakes and seas will need greater protection in the decades ahead.

The Angling Trust will work with its member clubs and individuals to campaign at a local level about particular problems: a sewage treatment works which is persistently polluting a river with sewage; sand or gravel extraction destroying the sea bed; a farmer allowing soil to wash into spawning streams; or a water company abstracting too much water from a stream. If you want action taken on an issue affecting your fishing, then please contact us and we will see what we can do to help you. Over the next year, we will be developing resources to help our members lobby their local MP about issues which affect their fishing.

At a national level, we will campaign to protect fisheries, using these local case studies as examples of where policies and practice have failed. The Marine Bill, the Water Framework Directive and a host of other legislation and policies provide great opportunities for anglers to protect the waters and the fish that are so important to them. The Angling Trust will build relationships with politicians and civil servants to influence the drafting and implementation of legislation so that fisheries are restored and improved. We can only do this with your support – lobbying is expensive and time-consuming. Vested interests from agriculture, commercial trawlers and water companies will often be lobbying against our aims and we have to be able to compete with them.

Angling's greatest strength is in its numbers. By supporting the Angling Trust you give us a powerful mandate to influence politicians, as well as your all-important subscription. You can also help by getting involved with your local angling club, consultative or sea fishing division. Angling Trust employees will attend meetings of all these groups to find out what needs to be done for our members."

The trust are clearly asking anglers to offer financial support by joining, I would urge you to join too,as a member , you have the right to ask for action, as far as I can see, as a non member it will be far more difficult to state a case, those are my views Sharkbyte and only my views ........for what they are worth mate.

Hi Bob

I can't see any further into the future than anyone at the Angling Trust, so "probably" is about as definitive as I, or they, can get with regard to possible outcomes of the study. However, I would have hoped that they would be able to see the threat and act accordingly, instead of supporting the idea of sea anglers logging their catches - which I find unacceptable.

I will take your advice, though. I'll send them an email asking what their position is on this issue, but unless Richard Ferre's position has changed drastically, I don't expect any surprises.

EDIT: I've just fired off my email. I'll let you know if and when I get a response.

No response to my email yet. :(

Don't drink and drive.