Article 47

Snatcher

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc...amp;language=EN

Parliamentary questions

26 February 2009 P-1364/09

WRITTEN QUESTION by Struan Stevenson (PPE-DE) to the Commission

Subject: Recreational and sport anglers under the rules of the CFP Answer(s)

Can the European Commission confirm that recreational and sporting anglers in the EU, including those who may target recovery stocks, will not be required to license their vessels, log their catch or fish within an allocated quota, provided that all fish they catch are used solely for personal or family consumption and provided they do not sell their catch? Can the European Commission guarantee that exceptions to this rule, as laid out in Article 47 of the Commission proposal on establishing a Community control system for ensuring compliance with the rules of the CFP, will be solely at the discretion of the Member States under the principle of subsidiarity?

Last updated: 4 March 2009

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAll...amp;language=EN

Parliamentary questions

30 March 2009 P-1364/2009

Answer given by Mr Borg on behalf of the Commission

In contrast to what has been widely reported, the Commission has not made any proposals to submit all recreational or amateur anglers to quotas or controls similar to those applying to professional fishermen.

The Commission has proposed to address some recreational fisheries in a Regulation(1) establishing a Community control system to ensure compliance with the rules of the common fisheries policy (Article 47). The draft Regulation does not, however, aim to place a disproportionate burden upon individual anglers or on the leisure fishing industry. What is proposed is to subject certain recreational fisheries on certain specific stocks, namely those subject to a recovery plan, to certain basic conditions on permits and catch reporting. These requirements will also help to obtain information allowing the public authorities to evaluate the biological impact of such activities and, where necessary, to prepare the measures needed. As is the case for commercial fishing activities, Member States would be responsible for the enforcement and monitoring of such measures.

The Commission would like to emphasise that it does not intend to submit all recreational fishermen to quotas. The proposal would not cover shore anglers, including those wading in the sea, or anglers fishing from a pier, from a canoe or from a kayak. It would only cover recreational fishermen who fish from a vessel in the open sea and who catch fish which are under recovery plans, i.e. fish that are threatened by extinction. The normal hobby angler who catches an insignificant number of fish when he goes out fishing and uses it exclusively for his private consumption will not be covered by the control regulation, even if he catches fish like cod which is under a recovery plan.

The establishment of the precise catch threshold from which controls will have to apply will depend on the kind of fish caught. This threshold should be determined on a case by case basis and following receipt of the relevant advice from the Scientific, Technical and Economic Committee on Fisheries (STECF).

In this context, the Commission would like to recall that in many cases recreational sea fishing is already subject to Member State' regulation. There are already many cases where permits and catch reporting are obligatory. The Commission's proposal is intended to help to harmonise such requirements, and to ensure that there is data on the relevant fisheries that is equally good wherever such fisheries take place.

The Commission looks forward to even more discussions with stakeholders on how to further restrict the proposal's application to recreational fisheries which have a significant impact on stocks under a recovery plan. The Commission, of course, wants to ensure that the final regulation adopted by Council achieves a fair balance between, on the one hand, obtaining accurate information on the impact of recreational fisheries on recovery stocks (following a case by case analysis) and, on the other, ensuring that recreational fishers whose catches clearly have a negligible biological impact are not burdened with disproportionate requirements.

(1) COM(2008)721 final.

Last updated: 3 April 2009

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEFRA are now consulting on the Control Regulations which contain Article 47.

Full details on the DEFRA website at: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...ntrol/index.htm

Those wishing to respond have until June 24th.

The Council of Fisheries Ministers will be meeting in June and will have the final say, so it's important for all to get their views put before DEFRA by responding to the consultation before the cut-off date.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

This is the current ammendment to 47. I would very much like to have my final say regarding 47. The problem i now have with it is, i don't know what the ru@@y heck they are talking about, what hope for us ordinaries or should we just say to them , you talk and do unto yourselves, we're off fishing. Anyone brave enough to translate for us? Please?

Article 47

Recreational fisheries

1. Recreational fisheries on a vessel in Community waters on a stock subject to a

multiannual plan shall be subject to an authorisation for that vessel issued by the flag

Member State.

2. Catches in recreational fisheries on stocks subject to a multiannual plan shall be

registered by the flag Member State.

3. Catches of species subject to a multiannual plan by recreational fisheries shall be

counted against the relevant quotas of the flag Member State. The Member States

concerned shall establish a share from such quotas to be used exclusively for the

purpose of recreational fisheries.

4. The marketing of catches from a recreational fishery shall be prohibited except for

philanthropic purposes.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

This is the current ammendment to 47. I would very much like to have my final say regarding 47. The problem i now have with it is, i don't know what the ru@@y heck they are talking about, what hope for us ordinaries or should we just say to them , you talk and do unto yourselves, we're off fishing. Anyone brave enough to translate for us? Please?

Article 47

Recreational fisheries

1. Recreational fisheries on a vessel in Community waters on a stock subject to a

multiannual plan shall be subject to an authorisation for that vessel issued by the flag

Member State.

2. Catches in recreational fisheries on stocks subject to a multiannual plan shall be

registered by the flag Member State.

3. Catches of species subject to a multiannual plan by recreational fisheries shall be

counted against the relevant quotas of the flag Member State. The Member States

concerned shall establish a share from such quotas to be used exclusively for the

purpose of recreational fisheries.

4. The marketing of catches from a recreational fishery shall be prohibited except for

philanthropic purposes.

Hello Barry

The way I read it I would think any fish anglers catch that is a pressure stock meaning any fish that is on a quota for commercial fishermen i.e. cod, skate, sole ,flounder,dab. Pollock, brill and spurdog, will be on a quota for anglers, which is what they set out to do right from the start.

Looks like the lads from the Angling Trust made a lasting impression, same as commercial fishermen old Joe probably had forgot all about them by the time they reached the front gate.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I understood 'pressure stocks' (CFP/EU+Iceland ... wherever that is?)

means only cod and tuna ....

are they closely related by any chance?

B)

The way I read it I would think any fish anglers catch that is a pressure stock meaning any fish that is on a quota for commercial fishermen i.e. cod, skate, sole ,flounder,dab. Pollock, brill and spurdog, will be on a quota for anglers, which is what they set out to do right from the start.

Hi Wurzel,

Only species subject to a multi-annual plan would require a recreational quota.

Not all pressure stock (although subject to commercial quota) are subject to a multi-annual plan.

At the moment, in the UK, it would only really affect recreational catches of cod, and plaice (but other species could be added to the list in future).

These are the original proposals which DEFRA are now consulting upon, and recent statements by Borg, and the amendments suggested by the EU parliament, will be considered by the Council of Ministers meeting in June (I assume along with any responses accepted by DEFRA to this consultation, taken to the Council of Ministers meeting by Huw Irranca-Davies).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hi Wurzel,

Only species subject to a multi-annual plan would require a recreational quota.

Not all pressure stock (although subject to commercial quota) are subject to a multi-annual plan.

At the moment, in the UK, it would only really affect recreational catches of cod, and plaice (but other species could be added to the list in future).

These are the original proposals which DEFRA are now consulting upon, and recent statements by Borg, and the amendments suggested by the EU parliament, will be considered by the Council of Ministers meeting in June (I assume along with any responses accepted by DEFRA to this consultation, taken to the Council of Ministers meeting by Huw Irranca-Davies).

Ah that is good news Leon. They will only need to wipe out the entire north east charter fleet then. Nothing to worry yourself with.

The whole thing about anglers is a hooking joke why dont they address the real problem why are anglers being used as some sort of scapegoat how the hell can they impose restrictions on anglers when anybody who knows anything about the sea knows they dont have a real impact in 4 months time the anual mass slaughter of undersized fish will take place like it has done anually year after year and nobody gives a dam herring spawn time is the biggist killer of undersized codling there will be more small codling discarded in 1 week than all the anglers in uk take in the whole year and they still allow it to go on i wonder if jo borg knows anything about that i doubht it very much was it anglers who brought the grand banks to its knees no it wasnt and it aint anglers who have brought the north sea to where we are now.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

it anglers who brought the grand banks to its knees no it wasnt and it aint anglers who have brought the north sea to where we are now.

paul.

And where are we now Paul???

I fish to live and live to fish.

And where are we now Paul???

In real terms peter probaly a tenth of what the cod stocks were like 20 years ago and some idiots in bruessels who think resricting anglers are going to make a smidge of a difference to cod stocks they are dreaming and they have been fed lies like i said herring spawn time kills more cod than what anglers take in full year that is a fact thats half reason we are where we are now jo public doesnt know it its a secret 8 years ago a pair team from here dragged a massive haul of small codling into the harbour they couldnt do nothing with it at sea it was estimated to be 300 kit of small codling that 3000st i saw the boats laid against the quey it was an unbelievable sight the harbour was full of dead small codling 80% of that haul went back over the side the fish ended up like jelly full of spawn it went soft in no time what a waste every one of those fish in a couple of years time would be a fish of 4or 5lb we are a grain of sand in the real world .

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg