generalist

Guest john

Guest the generalist

hi john. i've had little success on wet fly down & across & usually find i'm blanking by the time i've fished it down to the lower limit,but usually you've seen where some fish are on the way.I then fish back up & have then taken 30+ fish when conditions are right,fishing dry fly upstream & very close to the bank on the outside of the bends.chub to 2 1/2 lbs. even the odd trout but mostly smallish chub & dace.I like the humpy,but any dry olive pattern should prove o.k.I think the key is to fish the shallow water & also the crease between the main current & slack, as i said this can be very near in sometimes.I had a nice 1 1/2 lb. grayling the other week amongst other fish,& there was a much bigger fish seen although this could have been a chub.a small back fly also can be good.I tie one with a reverse hackle & a lureflash rib at just the front part of the hook(near the eye) & this seems to work everywhere even sunk & fished down & across on other waters for some strange reason.fish it dry,wet or in the film a real versatile fly. good luck.the gen.