Fly-Fishing for Salmon

Guest bobanderson

Guest bobanderson

This year I am hopeing to go flyfishing for salmon. Previously, when I have gone fishing for bass, mullet, gar fish I have always tied my own flies for both flyfishing or light spinning outfits. I just wanted to know if anyone had any good patterns or colours that might help me tie that killer fly.

Cheers,

Bob

------------------

Bob

Guest Steve Burke

Hi Bob,

I'm not a salmon angler but I've asked a friend who is. He tells me as salmon don't feed in freshwater there's no killing pattern in his view. He reckons in choosing the fly that size is most important followed by the tone, i.e. how dark or light it is. He suggests you seek local advice over this and then use your experience with other species.

I hope that this isn't teaching grandma to suck eggs and also that you get some more replies.

Guest bobanderson

Cheers Steve,

I had read something about trying to anger the fish as they dont feed in the normal way. I think I will just stick to the patterns I am used to and just enlarge them.

Thanks again, Bob.

------------------

Bob

Guest BUDGIE

Bob I presume you mainly fish for trout?the only trout patterns I have ever took Salmon on are Black Pennel and wait for it the dreaded Dog nobbler!I have caught several salmon on lures and bait but only 7 on the fly.Despite this I think it is a wonderfull method.I prefer "down and across" with a floating line rather than sunk line tactics.The flies which have been recommended to me by the locals in both Scotland,Norway and Ireland have worked.Don't know much more than that I am afraid.Cant afford to go much these days.

Guest bobanderson

Thanks Bugie,

No I dont mainly fish for trout I fish for bass, mullet, gar fish ... as was told by me in my first posting. However, I love metal and fly lures both on spinning gear and flyrods. I think there is nothing better to make your own flys and then catch a fish...Which is why I asked for patterns to copy.Anyway, thanks for the advice on the Black Pennel and the Doggy one HE HE I will try out. However, you are right about the locals...You cant beat local knowledge.

Cheers.

`><((((º> `><((((º> `><((((º> `><((((º>

Do you like my fish?

------------------

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest Steelheader69

Well, I'm not sure what species of salmon you're trying to hook (I assume Atlantics) but I'll give you what works well over here in the US for Pacifics.

Firstly, salmon for most part won't eat while trying to spawn, but WILL attack spawn. I fish both bait and fly, and we use salmon eggs and catch alot of fish. Hence, I have tied up egg patterns and have used them effectively on King(Chinook/Blackmouth), Silver (Coho) , and Dog (Chum) salmon. A good pattern is what is referred as a Babine Special. Yet, flashy does work well too here. I custom tie up my own flies. In tied waters, you can also use a shrimp patterns (at least here in the Pacific NW we do). Depending on water clarity really dictates what colors I use. If you're running really clear water (called gin clear here) I run small patterns on size 6/8 hooks in dark colors (preferably black, purple, dark greens). Most of our rivers are glacial so waters are more of a stained green color. On days like this I'll run more flashy colors. Pink, orange, with lots of flashabou. Usually running size 2 or larger hooks.

I hope this may help, not sure if it'll translate over into Europe, but hope it may give you some insight on what happens over in the US....Jerry

------------------

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

Guest baileyflies

Which River are you fishing on?

Flies to have if you are fishing during July to October are Ally Shrimps in red, orange and purple, currys shrimp thats abought all the flies you would need to catch Atlantic Salmon.

The most important thing is to get your presintation correct i have hooked loads of salmon on the first cast because i put a bit of thought into where the salmon will be laying in the pool, and at roughly the right depth, the idea is to get the fly traveling in front of the salmons nose with no drag from the line.

Cast across the river and mend the line so the fly travells across the pool, always keep mending the line untill you retrive it.

Hope this helps.

Guest bobanderson

Hi Jerry,

Yea quite alot of what you said makes sense and translates well with our style of fishing. Salmon egg patterns also work very well here.

I am mad about flash in gin clear water;

but a bit of colour on the lure when the water is coloured never goes a miss.

Another web site I look at is http://fishing.about.com

you might like to check it out.

On there message boards they are always talking about steelheads and US type fishing so you might find it usefull.

Cheers,

Bob

------------------

Bob