HELP!!

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, I'm going on a corporate days fly fishing this Friday, I'm panicing because I've just been told you don't use bite alarms or boilies for fly fishing!! Posted Image

Seriously though, I've never fly fished before and I know I'll get tuition when I get there, but can anyone give me any hints on the basic fundamentles of fly fishing?

Many thanks in advance, Posted Image

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 26 September 2000).]

Dead easy and I say that as somone who both flyfishes and goes carp fishing.

Flycasting is all about timing and technique.

Two golden rules for beginners,

1 keep your wrist stiff (stick the rob butt in your sleeve if you can! 2 keep the rod between 10'oclock and 2'oclock (That is viewed from the side not when the pub is open!)

The most common fault is letting the rod go too far back on the backcast and the fly then catches the ground behind. Unfortunately most of the fish are in the water in front.

Which Fly to use is easy, just ask the locals or the owner.

If the lake is clear then use your polaroids as stalking is great thrill and it is amazing how mant times the trout will take the fly without any indication showing on the leader

Tight lines

Originally posted by Gaffer:

Hi all, I'm going on a corporate days fly fishing this Friday, I'm panicing because I've just been told you don't use bite alarms or boilies for fly fishing!! Posted Image

Seriously though, I've never fly fished before and I know I'll get tuition when I get there, but can anyone give me any hints on the basic fundamentles of fly fishing?

Many thanks in advance, Posted Image

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 26 September 2000).]

Gaffer,

as someone who's done fly fishing once, and is obviously an expert, I'll add my bit:

Don't tie on a heavy fly and then cast in such a way that it hits you in the back. It bloody well hurts! Err, so a mate said.

On a serious note, I found that i had to let go of the line earlier than my instinct told me when casting. It's really different to casting a lead, but immensely satisfying when you get one that just flies smoothly off the real.

Err, another thing my mate said was to not take a girly with you, as they're better at it!

I take it you've seen my musings at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton07.htm

I enjoyed it and you will, too Posted Image

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, thanks for your help.

I picked it up realy easily at first (with tucking the rod up my sleeve), but got in a bit of a pickle when letting line out on the forward cast.

After a while I sussed that, but then had problems with the fly catching the rod.

Anyway, I finally got the hang of it (I think) and we were let loose on the rest of the lake.

The banks of the lake were quite sloped and I kept on catching the barbed-wire fence at the top....it got a bit frustrating! Posted Image

The day went on without a bite although I did see (with my poloroids) some whoppers...dont they shift!? Posted Image

At the end of a thoroughly enjoyable day I blanked and my elbow ached a bit.

I won't be selling my carp gear just yet, but I'll consider buying a flyrod and reel for when I get a spare 5 mins.

Thanks again, Posted Image

Gaffer.

Guest Nightwing

Gaffer, what you need to do is combine the two. I fly fish for carp, it is gret fun. I fish them on Lake Michigan, and it is rather like fishing the sea or ocean. I also fish the inland lakes here in Michigan, which I suspect is rather more alonge the lines of what you would be doing. Either way, is is a great way to target carp.