Fresh Birds?

Guest Spiderfan

Guest Spiderfan

No, not cheeky members of the fairer sex but those of a recently-dead, feathered kind! I have a particular interest in tying North Country spider patterns (hence the handle) and am having difficulty in sourcing some of the traditional materials required.

Has anyone had any experience in the collection and treatment of roadkill or dead birds they have come across? What are the legalities of picking up a dead mistle thrush at the side of the road and using the feathers for flydressing purposes, for example? And how might the bird be prepared for use? Posted Image

------------------

Fan of Spiders

Guest Spiderfan

Thanks Mike, you have created an informative and well laid out site.

I have in fact visited your site on a number of occasions in the past but had managed to miss your 'Flydressing 6' article containing the information I was after, and to which I assume you refer.

May I take this opportunity to recommend Mike's site to anyone seeking clear and concise tying instructions for numerous trout fly patterns, particularly traditional North Country spiders, or would just like to learn the techniques of a talented and dedicated flydresser of many years. Mike tells a number of humorous and witty anecdotes which are well worth a read.

Thanks again, Mike.