Anyone Looking For A Job?

Elton

Morning Wurzel,

As for lumping English Nature (now Natural England) in with "eco-warriors" come on! Wouldn't that involve something like commitment and a decision making process from them?!

You could ask the commercial fishermen of Lyme Bay.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the details but I bet you a pint of maggots the government made the decision and EN/NE only made proposals/ recommendations after a few million quids worth of taxpayers cash!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hello Peter

The real issue with Lyme Bay was not the local fishermen per se, as there had been a long standing gentlemans agreement to protect the reef. What happened at the time when the fuel started to creep up was that the chaps with scallop dredgers decided they would go through on the way back to Brixham. The issue was raised at the Devon SFC, where it was pointed out to the chairman that ICES had advised that scallops were being fished sustainably. There was clearly nothing to stop them and it was made quite clear by the SFC member concerned that they had no intention of stopping.

It would be intersting to find out how the small local operators have faired since the clossure. Too soon to get a sensible idea, they may even do well out of it.

Edited by Ryford

Hello Elton

This new role, part-funded by WWF-UK

Another worrying aspect of the Angling Trust.

WTF! First we have the Pew-Gate scandal with the Shark Alliance and now WWF are funding Angling Trust??? I'm sure Hulk Hogan will have plenty to say about all this :angry:

Hello Worms

I am looking at the big picture.

How can Anglers Trust represent anglers interests on subjects like closed areas, perhaps your favourite rock mark or the only exercisable head land or beach for miles when the very people who are ardent supporters of them and of implementing them where they have the most impact, not much use putting them where no body fishes, are paying for your representation.

How can the Anglers Trust fight for a sensible bag limit for cod when the WWF are constantly lobbying for a Zero catch on cod.

What is the reason for them to get involved with anglers if not to influence the out come of issues they are interested in.

WWF are eco worriers same as Green Peace and English Nature only slicker and sneakier.

Don't forget, the WWF zero catch for cod is on commercial fishing, no evidence of angling quotas.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

OMG

I tell you Elton. Its all over for mate. The WWF are going to be representing anglers. Whats it coming to. Whats worse is people think its a good idea.

Not a criticism but this thread seems to be of greatest interest to sea anglers/fishermen. No comments from the coarse and game lot?

Don't forget, the WWF zero catch for cod is on commercial fishing, no evidence of angling quotas.

Ohhh, and who do you think will be next? :rolleyes:

If only they (WWF) would recoginise that with mixed fisheries, you do not determine what you catch, so if there ban were successful it would just lead to more discards :wallbash:

Ohhh, and who do you think will be next? :rolleyes:

If only they (WWF) would recoginise that with mixed fisheries, you do not determine what you catch, so if there ban were successful it would just lead to more discards :wallbash:

In my opinion the most disgraceful thing in the commercial fishing world is discards. The whole quota system is badly organised and managed.

I entered into this thread because I honestly believe that to have an angler in the ecology management role is the best way to ensure that angling is promoted and managed so that anglers are treated fairly and that fish stocks are managed for the benefit of good angling (i.e. more and bigger fish).

If a faceless numpty with a degree in corporate something or other gets the job, your fears could well be realised.

Somehow the world of commercial fishing has become embroiled in all this on the basis of part finance.

I suspect Elton put the job on the forum for the reason that an angler may be interested in helping angling!

In my opinion the most disgraceful thing in the commercial fishing world is discards. The whole quota system is badly organised and managed.

I entered into this thread because I honestly believe that to have an angler in the ecology management role is the best way to ensure that angling is promoted and managed so that anglers are treated fairly and that fish stocks are managed for the benefit of good angling (i.e. more and bigger fish).

If a faceless numpty with a degree in corporate something or other gets the job, your fears could well be realised.

Somehow the world of commercial fishing has become embroiled in all this on the basis of part finance.

I suspect Elton put the job on the forum for the reason that an angler may be interested in helping angling!

Let us know how it all pears out :)

Anybody want to buy a keepnet?

It's a stainless steel knotted mesh material with holes in the mesh of 30mm internal circumference, 1m in length with supporting rings every 50cm that are 100cm in circumference.

That's not a keepnet ....

this is a keepnet .....

keepnet.jpg

:angry: