Hand or reel?

M.K

I'm not a fly fisherman so this might sound stuoid but here goes... :rolleyes:

I see all these fly fishing shows on tv and sometimes the angler rreels the fish in, and sometimes he pulls the line in by hand ( both when playing a fish).

Can anyone help me out here?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M.K:

I'm not a fly fisherman so this might sound stuoid but here goes...   :rolleyes:  

I see all these fly fishing shows on tv and sometimes the angler rreels the fish in, and sometimes he pulls the line in by hand ( both when playing a fish).

Can anyone help me out here?

It is normal to "play" fish like stream trout etc, by hand. The reel is only used for storing the line.

With other types of fish, it is essential to get the fish "on the reel" as soon as possible, as playing by hand is more or less impossible, ( salmon, bonefish, tarpon etc ).

Broadly speaking then, it depends on the type of fishing one does, whether one plays "by hand" or "from the reel".

When one aquires a delightful reel such as the Loop Evotec one simply has to use the reel...to justify the tank!! I should know.

Playing small stream trout on a 2# rod and a large arbour reel can be fun.

Op -JB

Nightwing. You flyfish for pike? No. I`m not being sarcastic. Until a few years ago, I wouldn`t have considered trying for sea bass on the fly.

I can get my head around a fly looking like a young chick or skimmer fish. Do you have to use a heavy mono tipit or tie straight to line?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!