Hand or reel?

M.K

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Canadian article about piking with fly rod and files is Here. Patterns and tactics/techniques.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Definitely by hand. Trying to lay the line back onto the spool while playing a fish is not worth the hassle in my opinion. Get you fish in then wind up the line. Of course it is easier if you have one of those box things that some people use to lay the line into, reduces the risk of tangling with your feet. :)

I prefer 'by hand' too.

The way a fish will sometimes run hard towards you precludes playing them off the reel for me.

Be careful you don't step on the line at your feet while doing so, in case the fish turns round and runs off in the opposite direction . . . . (ping!)

I'd imagine our TV anglers are told to play off the reel by the producer so as to improve the soundtrack!

[ 30 April 2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Spiderfan ]

OOPS!!

Just been to the ROYD advert in the members section! Loads of pike flies. Duuhhhhhhhh.

Paul.

I`ve ordered a couple of dozen flies. Just to have a go?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

MarkV, Spiderfan, that works fine on small fish, or those that don't run hard and fast, but trying to land some of what I fish for with the line would be asking for disaster.

There is a reason for disk drags.

Spasor, yep, I sure do.

They make dedcated pike leader/tippet combos, but I prefer to tie my own. I use level leader of stout mono, and a short 100lb test braid trace.

Hi Nightwing,

I very much appreciate what you're saying. Indeed, I've targetted myself with catching a double-figure carp on my standard fly gear (9'6" #7 weight) come the start of the season next month, when the disk drag will get as hot as the weather!

My learning curve will hopefully be in the opposite direction to that of my rod I expect!

• 2 weeks later...

Carp are a riot on fly gear!

I spend a good part of the summer persuing them on the open flats of Lake Michigan, and have been fortunate enough to take 2 40lb plus carp on fly gear, as well as a bunch of 20's and 30's.

You will ask yourself why it took you so long to try this, after your first success.

Have fun.

M.K., I use a variety of different flys, dependent upon what the fish are feeding on. I use a whitlock cray, or olive wooly buggers about half the time, the remainder I use any of dozens of flys(muddlers, bead head nymphs, hares ear nymphs, matuka, various buzzers, spring wiggler, hex mymph).

Whatever is closest to the local natural food.

One of my 40's was caught on a Whitlock crayfish, the other on an olive wooly bugger. Muddlers also have accounted for a number of 30's.