Coming Soon to This Cinem.... Website.

John S

THE ART of FLYTYING

Learn how to Wax Your Thread, Tie In your Tails, Clip Your Wings and use the Whip Finishing Tool

Fully Illustrated with Colour Iconographs

Tight tying threads

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely :)

I was tying flies for about 3 years before I used one in anger :rolleyes:

This section is going to start from real basics, and will have sections dealing with Materials Tools & Techniques, Tails, Bodies, Hackles, Wings, and finally Patterns (each with an accompanying photograph). The technique I use really is very easy to learn, and should not be a problem for anyone to master :)

Tight lines

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

At the moment it's still in the embryonic stage, and will take at least a month to get all the sections up. Excpect to see the first sections up very soon however, including a list of tools and materials you need to buy.

Tight lines

[ 13 June 2002, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

"""Excpect to see the first sections up very soon however, including a list of tools and materials you need to buy."""

No wonder it is taking some time. :)

OP-JB:

"""Excpect to see the first sections up very soon however, including a list of tools and materials you need to buy."""

No wonder it is taking some time.   :)

I often wonder whether DIY is actually cheaper than shop-bought :D I remember when I made a few lures once....I seemed to be constantly buying "little bits".

Mind you, it's so much more satisfying when you catch. I keep getting told that the same applies to rolling your own carp baits, but I still can't be bothered :D

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The greatest advantage of doing your own is you can tie the patterns you design, which is why I tie now. I wish I was learning over again so I could have the satifaction of getting my first fish on my stuff again.

OP-JB:

No wonder it is taking some time.   :)

Oh har, har

John S

Elton:

I often wonder whether DIY is actually cheaper than shop-bought :D I remember when I made a few lures once....I seemed to be constantly buying "little bits".

I would say that an average DIY fly could end up costing as little as 25% of a shop-bought one. Possibly less :)

Plus, because many flies you buy in shops are machine made, the patterns have sometimes been compromised to aid manufacture. They're generally not as strong as home-made flies either.

Tight lines

John S