Beware Of The British Fly Fishing Team!

Jake

True Story:

In 1993 the World Championship Fly Fishing competition took place in the area of Kamloops, BC. My friends and I were lodged at Knouff Lake during this period. Knouff was one of the practise areas, prior to the actual event. The Italians, Australians and The Brits designated to fish knouff and White Lake, while the other competitors were honing up their skills on other surrounding lakes.

On one particular day, my group and I headed out on a day trip to White Lake. When we arrive, the British team were packing up their gear to return to Knouff. I spoke to Charles Jardine and another gent, briefly. They appeared to be nice chaps and it was a pleasure to have met them. It goes without saying that they did very well at White Lake. A Buzzer pattern was recommended by them for us to use at White. We left our personal boats back at Knouff and proceeded to rent a row boat for the afternoon. Well, the pattern they suggested didn't do a thing for us. We switched to a Teeny Nymph and had all sorts of action.

We returned to Knouff Lake hours later, and just in time for the evening rise. I got into my 12' boat, equipped with electric motor and made my way to the shoals. I reached for my anchor but it wasn't there. I found this odd and a bit disturbing. Someone had taken my anchor out of my boat, while I was at White Lake! The waters were claim and I had no difficulties fishing the night away.

The next day, I approached the caretaker of the resort and explained to him that my anchor had been stolen. He said that the British team had taken it from my boat when they returned from White Lake and threw it near the dock when they were finished. Don (caretaker) was not aware that it was mine and promptly turned over my anchor and rope.

I did not see the team after that day. Maybe they were too busy taking other things that didn't belong to them from other unsuspected fishermen. I checked if my wallet was still in my pant pocket and it was. I was standing approximately 6 feet away when I spoke to them at White Lake. I'm glad that they didn't have their fishing rod in their hands at the time. They may have used a "reach cast" on me and then I would have been penniless for the remainder of the trip. Their actions bothered me to no end. I would never take anything, from anyone at any given time.

So, if you see the members of this team heading towards your direction, make sure you keep your eyes on your fries because they will vanish if you fail to do so!

[ 03. September 2002, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Why do birds suddenly appear

Every time you are near?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I do not know any member of the British Fly Fishing Team, I feel I must spring to their defence. :)

You have no actual proof that they took your anchor.

The word of a "caretaker", who admits to not knowing your anchor from anyone elses, is not reliable.

Why would they want your anchor ?

No, methinks that the British Team beat the heck out of the Canadian Team and we are being served up a big helping of "sour grapes". :D:D:D:D

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield:

Even though I do not know any member of the British Fly Fishing Team, I feel I must spring to their defence.     :)    

You have no actual proof that they took your anchor.

The word of a "caretaker", who admits to not knowing your anchor from anyone elses, is not reliable.

Why would they want your anchor ?

No, methinks that the British Team beat the heck out of the Canadian Team and we are being served up a big helping of "sour grapes".     :D         :D         :D         :D  

The caretaker saw them toss my anchor onto the ground near the dock, after they called it a day. He did not know why or who's anchor it was until I approached him the next day, complaining that it was missing from my boat. The fact that he did not know who owned it, does not change anything as far as what he witnessed. There are literally 50 - 75 guests at the resort and campground. How in the world do you or anyone else know who's equipment belonged to who? If you are capable of doing so, then you are a freakin' genius.

Why would you think that the word of a caretaker is not valid? As far as your question as to why would they want my anchor? Could it be that they wanted two on their boat for the purpose of double anchoring or they were too dumb to tie down their own anchor when they threw it overboard. You would have to ask the takers and not the caretaker.

I have never had anything taken from my boat prior and since their departure in 1993. Believe what you want but I'll put my money on your team as being guilty as witnessed by Don.

Big deal, so your team won in 1993 and now the world is a better place to live in. Look up the name Kathy Ruddick and see who is eating the sour grapes, a couple of years ago. I saved you the trouble Cranfield. Check this out: http://www.rudfly.com/ruddicksflyshop/kathy.html

I like the part about some of the fishermen shunning her. Could they have been the anchor thieves that gave her the cold shoulder? Probably! What do you think, Cranfield?

My sour grapes have turned into sweet wine since then. Have a nice day!

Jake

<small>[ 22. August 2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Jake ]</small>

Every time you are near?

Close to you.

Jake, don,t get your famous ladies knickers in a twist. :)

Welcome to some British humour. :)

Did you not notice the "smilies :D " in my post ?

Peace be with you, Colonial Fluff Flinger. :D:D

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield, welcome to Canadian rhetoric. We love to pi$$ people off. It gives them something to talk about, during dinner.

Thank you for explaining the little face symbol that you used. I thought that it meant that you had an upset stomach or bad gas. I'm happy to hear that this was not the case. B^)

Last but not least, thanks for your replies. I enjoyed them.

Jake

Every time you are near?

Close to you.

bobbyf:

mmmmmmm..Canadian? only good thing to come outta Canada lately was Sum 41...

Yer    :rolleyes:    Bawb

Bobby, aren't you forgetting all the others that you failed to mention. Shall I remind you that the following musical acts are also Canadian:

Rush, Everly Brothers, BTO, Elvis, Guess Who, Chuck Berry, Steppenwolf, Dave Clark Five, Tragically Hip, Little Richard, Ann Murray, Rolling Stones, Gordon Lightfoot, The Kinks, Trooper, Pink Floyd, Bare Naked Ladies, Sam & Dave, Nylons, Beatles, Wilf Carter, Wilson Pickett, Hank Snow, James Brown, Tommy Hunter, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Lighthouse, The Dorsey Brothers, David Clayton Thomas (Blood Sweat & Tears), The Animals, that french singer "Dion", Dean Martin, Prarie Oyster, Boston, Irish Rovers (one guys dead now), Bay City Rollers, Robert Goulet, Frank Sinatra and Toller Cranston.

I'm sure that I left someone out but I can't remember them right now because of this splitting headache which I got by trying to come up with the names of these fine Canadian artists.

Jake

[ 23. August 2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Jake ]

Every time you are near?

Close to you.

Please note..lately!! and i spent £13 of UK money to go see them and Reel Big Fish in concert..believe me they can play...they are good...not as good as the Fish granted..but good..anyway I like the Blue Jays..every other team sucks ...

Yer Bawb

Jake a RCMP eh.

That might explain few things.

I Fish with one of the England Team.

So I will treat your thread as complete Bolloc*s and suggest you check your arse for your missing anchor :D:D

Welcome to some British humour

Answer this if you can are you a French Canadian ?? If so beware of Snipers next time your are on this forum.

[ 23. August 2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Dragonbat ]

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

A true story from 1993? It's taken a long while to travel this far??

Regarding the buzzer pattern, how did you fish it?

You may have fished it to fast or there again you might have fished it to slow? On the other hand you could have fished it much faster than at first, but perhaps if you had fished it a little bit faster than fishing it to slow that might have worked.

Of course you could have fished it too high or there again too deep.

Who knows??? Who cares?? after all it was in 1993!!

Perhaps the anchor was trown around in high spirits, or perhaps the guy who witnessed it was drunk, perhaps the England team were all drunk, perhaps the anchor has a life of it's own. Perhaps it's ****** off with being trown in all the time?? Who cares?? it was in 1993!

Colin.

PS Did you know Charles Jardine used to play in a PUNK ROCK band? Perhaps he's really Canadian, just like the Pink Floyd [i seem to remember going to school with Dave Gilmour in Cambridge??]or was that list of British rock stars and bands a Canadian Joke? :confused: :rolleyes::D