Char fishing

kev7dags

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me.I was pike fishing today and got chatting to a local who was telling me about a loch near fort augustus that is full of char.Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the loch and as I would like to fish for char I wonder if anyone could help me with the lochs name.Also he recommended fishing loch farr for eels but didnt mention if this was a private loch or open to all.Any help with these queries would be appreiciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have caught two sorts of char in the States (Brookies and Mackinaws) but have drawn a blank (or to be more truthful, a series of blanks) when trying for char in the British Isles.

If anyone here catches char regularly and can put me onto some, I would be most grateful.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks bobbyf - haven't tried that area - it looks interesting.

RNLI Governor

Ive caught Char in the Lake District using the traditional methods (up here) of rowing around trolling spinners, up to 6 spinners on 1 line.

For large Char up to 3-4lb then Lapland is the place to visit, have a look at

this site

its also an ideal place for large Grayling as well.

Scott.

Scott - thanks for info - its British Isles char I have yet to catch.

Two questions 1/ What are the best times of the year on the Lake District waters you fish ? and

2/ Assuming you are using the traditional spinners fished deep, how often do you catch ? most times ? sometimes ? rarely ?

What I really want to do is cop the time of the year they are near the surface and to catch on fly, but will settle for trailing if that's the only realistic way to catch some.

RNLI Governor

I found May June July the best months, to be honest it was something I did to pass the time on the days the Pike werent playing.

I made all the gear myself after seeing it in a book and gave it a try, it was a huge surprise to me when I caught. Having caught a few it lost any excitement for me as trolling lures around all day becomes boring after a while.

I didnt keep any records but it was a rare occasion when I didnt take 1 or 2 home (lovely eating) the hard part is landing them, I was getting 3-4 takes for every fish landed most days.

I have seen one person that fishes for them with a rod, 1 spinner and use's a downrigger, he told me that he lands most fish,with the handline method there is often slack line that allows the fish to escape.

On several occasions I landed 2 fish at a time and often with 1 on the top hook (fished 15ft down) and 1 on the bottom hook (fished 60ft down)

If you need any more info or info on the waters (best areas etc) please email me.

Scott.