Char fishing

kev7dags

I have caught the Bala Char the besy time for these little gems is Feb March if we have not had alot of snow.

In fact any one want a fishin the see if we can get any ???? feeder in the deep water is best method.

[ 04. January 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Dragonbat ]

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loch Earn has a lot of charr , as do lochs Lubnaig and Doing , near Callander. March and April are usually best and we rarely blank then. This is bait fishing though. By june , they disappear , probably to (even) deeper water.

There is plenty of char fishing available in the west of Ireland too. A friend of mine regularly fishes for them with fly on Lough innagh but its with deep sinking lines - 20ft down.

The flies he uses are "Father Rogan" and the ususal sea trout bumbles.

Up here on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles of Scotland we have 2-3 lochs that I know of that produce the elusive Char.

Every year I hear about the odd one been caught every so often (mainly May or June). I've only ever seen one ever been caught, it was by my dad on a flat calm night ... a beautiful looking fish.

Up here they usually fish for them with fly, spinner or worm, and are more often caught when fishing for Brown Trout.

Probably the most well known loch on the island for catching Char is Loch Orinsay, a very very stiff loch that can also produce Brownies upto 6lbs and above.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com