33 replies to this topic

#1 craig mason

craig mason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:gardening,fishing & fishkeeping

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

can anyone recomend anywhere in derbyshire that i can go float fishing for trout ?
john wilson is god

#2 Bruno Broughton

Bruno Broughton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:fisheries science, big fish, angling education, angling politics, conservation

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:46 PM

Without a licence? No way, pal! (see Coarse Fishing thread 'Frequency of rod licence checking') :mad:

[ 10. January 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]
Bruno
www.bruno-broughton.co.uk
'He who laughs, lasts'

#3 Adz

Adz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 12:00 AM

If you mean bait fishing, then I can think of a few place where they're happy for you to float about face down for even suggesting the idea... but not to catch fish.

Sorry can't help!

Cheers,
Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

#4 Colin Brett

Colin Brett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 12:16 AM

Of course you could always fish "the Bung" or strike indicator. Very effective with buzzers on still waters like Grafham & Rutland.

Colin

#5 greg long

greg long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:fishing & painting

Posted 11 January 2003 - 05:17 AM

Unlikely on a fly forum :D

anglingireland.info Greg's Gallery
IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST
Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info
Fish Paintings
Linocut fishy prints..

#6 bobbyf

bobbyf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:40 AM

Dont be such snobs u lot..I know a lot of flyfishermen reared on bait fishing who then graduated to the fly..

Craig,
Buy Trout fisherman and telephone all the trout fisheries in your area and ask..if not just go to your search engine and type in 'bait fishing for trout in derbyshire' one or two replies there may interest you..and then learn to flyfish for the trout,beleive me it is far superior..and if you get to float fish for them..fish coarse gear min.line 5lb,i use wagglers and size 10 hooks..u can go finer but not advisible if heavy fish about..and enjoy!!!

#7 Newt

Newt

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,148 posts
  • Interests:fishing, duplicate bridge, fishing, RV (caravan) travel to where there is fishing

Posted 13 January 2003 - 06:35 AM

bobbyf - what you read wasn't snobbisness but was a reaction to a couple other posts by this craig mason person. Take a look at the bottom of page 1 and some of page 2 of This thread for particulars.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

#8 craig mason

craig mason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:gardening,fishing & fishkeeping

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:09 PM

newt i have now got a full licence to fish in 2003 witch covers me for coarse fish and non migatory trout starting in june :) but i still want to no were i can catch trout on the float on a catch and release basis in derbyshire a friend has recomended the river derwent around matlock/matlock bath area has anyone else caught trout in this area on the float
john wilson is god

#9 Newt

Newt

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,148 posts
  • Interests:fishing, duplicate bridge, fishing, RV (caravan) travel to where there is fishing

Posted 14 January 2003 - 10:31 PM

craig - I saw the post where you'd gotten legal. Good for you. License may be a pain in the hindparts and all that but still a good idea. Some of the money will hopefully do something to benefit angling. If not, I always feel better having one and you may as well.

Can't help you much with a speific venue unless you are willing to travel a bit though. :) Hopefully someone else on here can. Good areas for me are about 1000 miles west of where I live or 700-800 miles north and you'd have to add another 3000 or so for the western ones. Northern ones would be closer by a little if you flew into New York.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

#10 Adz

Adz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 11:16 PM

Hmm... how about carp on the fly not too far from NYoike newt? Know of any locations?

Cheers,
Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!