Steelheads??

mmc1

Wow thnx for that :) Im gonna have to do my best to keep it a secret now as these must be the only wild steelheads in scotland. Well that ive heard of anyway.

Thanks for the information re spots on the fins of the sea-goer, Nightwing. I expected to hear something like that as the fish illustrated by mmc1 is clearly a steelhead rainbow, spots or no spots

You are fortunate mmc1 - make the most of it you lucky $%£^^%$ :D:D

Thanks for the info Norrie, Tho' I'm not sure we are going to be able to follow it up just yet - we are on a tight schedule of skate and ferox fishing for the next couple of weeks or so. Since retiring I've never been so busy in my life :rolleyes::rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Vagabond, You lucky, lucky, man you. I was speaking to a regular Swanswater Angler and Instructor, who's a mate of mine, and was telling him about this thread, he told me that they have evidence of the Steelheads breeding, so, they might in the future have their own wild head of fish. Incidently, Stirlig Univercity, who as you probobaly know, do a lot of research into marine biology, have had a large escape of sea trout,according to my mate the burns and rivers around the area are chock a block with them, they are all (seemingly)about 9-10in in size.

Cheers

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

vagabond, heres two sites that have

fish pictures and descriptions of different fish around the world just choose what your looking for .

1.) http://www.eangler.com (left side find" fish encyclopedia" then choose from salinity , keyword search , habitat , grouping and long list .

2.) http://www.flyfisherman.com (left side find "species guide "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

heres two other sites that shows step- by- step instructions on tying salmon and steelhead flies

and misc. flies

1.) http://www.akflyfishers.com

2.) http://www.flyanglersonline.com

hope you enjoy.

jim bubba

• 4 weeks later...

Norrie:

Hiya, I would say it's a Steelhead,our local fishery at Swanswater has a stock of them, check out the gallery and see the one I caught for comparison, they fight like heck. To have a head of wild fish is a dream come true.

Cheers

Norrie.

Vagabond, if you want to catch one give the fishery a call, its only a couple of hours from Davy's.

Sorry to disagree with yet another fellow Scot, but there is just no way that this little puddle holds steelhead trout. It is FAR to small, and as far as I can see has no major river connecting it to the sea! Steelheads NEED to live for part of their life in the sea. Vagabond, Nightwing please have a look and tell me I am correct.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I agree with Corydoras, some right crazy claims are and have been coming out of some of the Scottish fisheries.Steelheads, blues are two of the 'types' of trout are alleged to be the best fighting fish alive...Sorry but this dont wash, they are just yer usual lumps of fat stockie fish whether they are bred using whatever genes..now at least Leven fish I found were bonny fighters but they are still stockies...

Enjoy your 'bonanza' mmc1 and tell no one..having seen some of the antics that take when nets have burst on Awe and other places..keep well to yourself... :D

bobbyf:

Enjoy your 'bonanza' mmc1 and tell no one..having seen some of the antics that take when nets have burst on Awe and other places..keep well to yourself...   :D  

Quite right. Tell naebody whare they are.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

If that is the fishery in question, there is not a chance on Gods green earth that steelhead are dwelling there....

You are quite correct corydorus, a tiny pond like that could suport only stockies.

Steelhead genes are a misnomer anyway, as there are many strains of migratory rainbows, many of which produce steelhead if their pattern includes a stint in either the ocean or a very large lake.

So, there is no single "steelhead gene" anyway.

Simply introducing a bit of steelhead genetics in to the mix won't change a thing about fish kept under such circumstances, they will be the result of their environment, not their genetics.

And "blue" rainbows have been a novelty for pond owners over here for a long time(as have albino and "golden" rainbows). Nothing more than a selected color morph, isolated through inbreeding. Not something that is going to create a better fight, for certain.

[ 14. June 2003, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]

I misread the posts above, luckily I reread and checked the link.

Here's where I misread. I thought for a second that you guys meant a steelhead couldn't spawn in a lake of that size. LOL. I was going to say, a steelhead will transpire just about any sized river to spawn, as long as their's enough river for them to make it up (near drought conditions will keep them out). I know there are a couple streams I fish for steelhead that you literally have to creep up, and drop your line straight down so not to spook the steelhead (creek is only maybe 4' wide at widest near mouth). So they can spawn about anywhere.

But, then I reread. Noticed that they are pretty much stocked up there. Like has been said above. WAY too small to even be considered a steelhead raising area. Plus, has to spawn into a river trib to get any sort of distinction to be a steelhead. Size isn't the only factor (have caught landlocked rainbows that were in excess of 8#'s in remote lakes). The thing is that you can plant a steelhead strain of fish anywhere. It takes it running to deep water to fatten up a few years and coming back to a river to spawn to make it a steelhead. Lake size has alot to do with it as well. Not many get the size of the Great Lakes. Now, you add a couple thousand of the lake shown, and some depth, then its a maybe. But even the rainbows out of Lake Illiama, which is a good sized lake in Alaska, still only call their river spawning fish "rainbow trout".

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

http://www.steelheader.net

http://www.steelheader.com