Fly Fishing For Coarse Fish

wunnus

Apart from pricey still waters the opportunities to fly fish a river in East Anglia for Trout are rare.

I enjoy still water but a moving stream creates more excitement for me.

I am able to cope with dry fly techniques but I still find wet fly somewhat mysterious.

Bite indication?

Choice of fly?

I did the usual and asked advice at the locals, but this really only applied to trout.

Any advice?

"Muddlin' along"

This topic has cropped up before, so a search of past threads would yield good information. Meanwhile, one method that works for roach is to loose-feed a few maggots and fish a Peach Doll. No problems with bite indication, you tend to get a good pull!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Most coarse fish can be caught on an imitation.

I have caught a lot, including tench and bream, while trout fishing.

The bite indication when fishing a wet fly, nymph, or lure can (usually) be easily felt, as you will be retrieving the line at the time.

Try any of the "standard" wet trout flies/nymphs.

My two favourites are Pheasant Tail and Montana.

But almost anything will catch on its day.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Dace are one species that come to mind for dry fly. Use a small fly and be ready for fast takes,get onto a shoal and you can have lots of fun. Chub is another good taker of dries, use bushy patterns. For perch use fry patterns(Wets)and lure type flies. If you have Grayling then dries,wets and nymphs are all good,depending on conditions. Have fun.

Sliced cigarette filters look like bits of punched bread. A size 14 fly hook with the filter attatched will stay on the hook nice as you cast and any fish you can get feeding on bread you will catch this way.

mmc1:

Sliced cigarette filters look like bits of punched bread. A size 14 fly hook with the filter attatched will stay on the hook nice as you cast and any fish you can get feeding on bread you will catch this way.

Just be carefull using cigarette filters, If they come off the hook they can swell up inside the fish then effectively suffocate it

[ 07. May 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: mike birtles ]

quote:

Just be carefull using cigarette filters, If they come off the hook they can swell up inside the fish then effectively suffocate it
Good point ..... its never happened but needs some thought. Although the piece of filter is at full swell once wet before the fish gets it it is still worth trying to remedy. Mabye clear fly varnishing the filter on the hooks a few days before going out would help.