bubble float loch fishing for brown trout

lgolf

I am going on holiday to Loch Ness in September and would like to try bubble float fishing with wet flies. Anyone got any advice on the following:

- Should the bubble float be submerged or rest on the surface. Should it be full or half full?

- What length of trace between float and fly works best?

Any other relevant advice would be much appreciated.

lgolf:

I am going on holiday to Loch Ness in September and would like to try bubble float fishing with wet flies.

When I lived in Scotland fishing with ANY kind of float for trout was illegal. It probably still is. If Andy Macfarlane is around he can prabably confirm or you could PM him.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hmmmm, not sure if its illegal, but i've fished the bubble and flee most of my life, particularly when the fish dont want a bait, I/we fish usually a clear bubble and fill it depending how far you need to cast, you can have it at the end of your line and the flies between you and your bubble (which I find the best) or have the flies after the bubble.How many flies do you want to fish, normally about two or three, the first fly should be about 18in from the bubble, then the other two on droppers about 6in long every foot or so. Fish it very slowly, you can also do a bit of a cheat and put a single maggot on each fly, the colour and the movement does seem to make a difference. Of course if it turns out that it is illegal, I never posted this ,ok... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I fish the bubble float most of the time on the lochs not just here on the Isle of Lewis but through out Scotland on "natural unstocked lochs", and have never had any problems what so ever. I am unsure if any stocking programmes were introduced on Loch Ness at all.

Hence if you are fishing waters that have "Frankenstein Fish" aka Rainbow Trout or reared Brown Trout the fishery or estate can ban floats, as you are fishing a stocked water.

There is no problem with using bubble floats, unless the estate you are fishing on explicitly states so.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know the law in Scotland states that since Wild Brown Trout are native to Scotland, and since the tresspass law differs here in Scotland for fishing lochs/rivers, that an angler can fish for Brown Trout on "any" loch that has not been stocked with Trout in the last 2 or 3 years as long as they are using suitable and legal means. This leaves a very grey area where Salmon fishing is concerned :) as you can claim you are fishing for Brown Trout (supposedly) on any Salmon fishing estate that has not been stocked as long as you are using fishing tackle deemed suitable for Brown Trout and NOT Salmon.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but this arguement that I am led to believe is the law has held me well when ever I have had to argue with gamekeepers on estates I do not have access to readily. "Alledgedly" a quick change from 12 lbs line and size 2 hooks on a bubble float using worms on Salmon lochs you may not be supposed to be on, down to 2-3 lbs line and size 6-8 hooks when you need to if you think a confrontation is going to be had on a loch can be handy before they get to you

Norries suggestions for fishing the fly with the bubble float are almost exactly what I use if Im struggling with wind to fly fish properly, and I also use that technique in the sea for Sea Trout.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• 3 months later...

The best thing to do with a bubble float is chuck it in the bin.They serve no purpose whatsoever and should never be put on your line.Anyone fishing with one should be banned for life from the water they are fishing.They are designed for totally useless anglers,hence you see alot in the North East.There are far better and superior floats on the market so why dont people use them.

Banthebubblefloat.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hiif I was fishing in lochness and wanted to use wet flies I would also use fly rod and floating line and if you are in a boat ten foot rod is fine you dont need to be able to cast far but being quiet does help like not banging things about on the bottom of the boat enjoy your fishing and (watch oot fur the monster)

I am from scotland

lgolf:

I am going on holiday to Loch Ness in September and would like to try bubble float fishing with wet flies. Anyone got any advice on the following:

- Should the bubble float be submerged or rest on the surface. Should it be full or half full?

- What length of trace between float and fly works best?

Definately not illegal, but may be banned by local rules. I have fly fished from bank on Loch Ness. Also as another poster stated it is a good method over weed beds in saltwater for sea trout.

Bubble floats work well on Loch Lochy for the escapee rainbows....so apparently do maggots, a rod pod and electronic bite alarms :)

Any other relevant advice would be much appreciated.