Trout Fishery or Reservoir

ripples

Hello all.

This is my first post, so be kind to me?

I am new to fly fishing and have so far fished Jubilee Lakes (Co Durham) and Narborough Trout Lakes (Norfolk) and two Reservoirs ( Sweethope and Fewston,

My question is do you think it is wise for a beginner to try the larger stillwaters or stick with the higher stocking levels of the first two I mentioned.

Yes you're correct, I blanked at the Reservoirs, Sweethope was last night and Fewston two weeks ago,

I am now starting to question my technique etc (although a lot has yet to be learnt I admit)

All advice welcome?

Thanks.

I dont like resevoirs because I think they are too daunting - and I've been fishing for 8 years. If you want nice fish and a challenge then fish resevoirs, but I keep to nice fisheries, and enjoy it much more than places like Farmoor.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

I agree with the suggestions to start on the smaller fisheries.

By catching fish, you will improve your technique and your confidence.

You should also vary the flies and lures you use, also the methods of fishing them.

This will help you, when you move on to the larger reservoirs and the rivers........because you will. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

ripples:

Hello all.

This is my first post, so be kind to me?

I am new to fly fishing and have so far fished Jubilee Lakes (Co Durham) and Narborough Trout Lakes (Norfolk) and two Reservoirs ( Sweethope and Fewston,

My question is do you think it is wise for a beginner to try the larger stillwaters or stick with the higher stocking levels of the first two I mentioned.

Yes you're correct, I blanked at the Reservoirs, Sweethope was last night and Fewston two weeks ago,

I am now starting to question my technique etc (although a lot has yet to be learnt I admit)

All advice welcome?

Thanks.

I remember that feeling well, but stay with the reservoirs. I sought out the people who were catching and made a note of the cars and numbers. Whenever I went after that I just hunted them down fished in the same ares and picked up a few tips by watching them and talking to them. You will find most trout anglers are willing to give you a few hints, that doesn't include the match anglers on match days though. Also ask at the fisheries lodges the wardens are usually competent anglers and will be only to happy to help you catch. The more you go the safer their jobs.

Good luck

Colin

Go for the reservoirs. The size of the place is irrelevant.Find the fish and you will catch.Everyone has blanks.The size of the water is more a psychological problem.Try to think of reservoirs as lots of small fisheries and approach as such.I rarely fish anything smaller the 200 acres and manage to catch plenty.

Good luck