Season of to a decent start

malevans

Hi Cranfield. Caught at just after midday on 9th of April 2004. Not weighed or measured, and successfully returned. Compared with other salmon I have caught it was very long for its weight and I estimate weight as circa 10.5lb. Size 6 double Hairy Mary on a floating line and copolymer leader. A very large fly for the river in question as the fish on gallery from last year took the usual size 10 & 12 doubles. Venue River Garry, Scottish Highlands.

Also missed a take in this pool plus lost a fish in another pool about an hour and half earlier. But at least we are off the mark. Roll on spring bank week !!! :D

Thanks for the info. :)

It is certainly a long, lean fish, but looks in perfect condition.

I am hearing from my friends in western Ireland, that they believe it could be a good year for salmon.

Mind you, they say that every year. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Looks like a mended Kelt to me also, but I think Malevans knew that - hence it's rapid return. Would of been a lovely fish to catch when it entered the river last year - just imagine it at double its depth, and more girth - "very very nice dream fish" :)

The thin-ness of the fish, the darkening above the lateral line, and a slightly protruding vent - are classic tell tale signs.

One or two systems up here on the Isle of Lewis, if we fish for Brown Trout early on in April on then, we get these returning Kelts also.

Some nice Sea Trout been landed in the sea up here just now on the fly, and on small strips of Mackerel - might give that a go. :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Good question. It is certainly not the typical shape for the river. It was nice and solid. Not normal to catch kelts on this river this late. The river its self was full of running fish. Nothing struck me as unusual except the length to girth ratio. If it is a Kelt then its a PB because I have never caught one before (BG), I returned it quickly but I have returned all my salmon since return became mandatory, despite my reservations, as one must follow fishery rules. Lots of kelts are reported in Jan and Feb.

How quickly do they mend, I assume they still cannot feed until they reenter saltwater, although I will confess to have never read up on Kelts.

I must admit that it looked fresh to me just an odd shape, lets hope if it is a kelt then its back on its way to greenland by now.

One good check to see if a well mended Salmon is a kelt, is checking under the gills - they are usually very soft and can have gill magots on them. Also check for protruding vent, and the disporotionate overall look.

Here are two kelts I've got whilst fishing for Brown Trout in early April a year or two ago - both returned promptly with no problem at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pitty I didn't catch them when they came into the system the year before :D

I'm sure your fish has now returned down river and is making its way out to sea :D Not sure about the feeding habits - but I would guess that once they get back to sea they begin feeding again.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Oh guys you have started something this end. I got all the photos out of the salmon and grilse my friends and I have caught since we started in 1993. Looked at the info above in your posts and started pointing out one or two well mended Kelts (rather than the Kelts we already knew about) to my mates :D . Oh dear the abuse.......and I had been friends for them for long LOL.

Mind you can't beat the fish my mate caught September 93, huge kype and brown, but it was literally falling apart in our hands had to be so careful putting it back. Fingers could almost go right through it, weight 8lb 8oz.