sight bob on dropper

dunc85

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, i meant pulled under during normal fishing, especially if you've got a heavy buzzer on.

I suggested that because i always used to use orange floating dough as an indicator so matching the hatch didn't seem to matter, because there was either no obvious hatch, or fish weren't rising regularly enough for me to use a dry fly.

But even though a big orange floating blob didn't represent any natural fly, fish still took it.

my answer was also probably based on my eyesight! those little CDC's are impossible to see at range, especially in ripples.

sometime soon i will attempt some buzzers with a big piece of foam that i can see!

Caught my first fish on this method at Swanswater on Mon night. I have to admit I was lucky as I am not confident in how to use this technique with buzzers.

What spacing is worth trying for a team of 3. ?

Do you retrieve slowly or let them hang there. ?

What type of buzzers are best to use. ?

I know I will need to vary approach but what is a good startpoint please , water is about 8 foot deep.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Peter, 8 feet of water I'd try 5,5 and 5ft, slow figure of eight off the shore, slightly faster than the drift from a boat. If you have a cross breeze let the flies drift around in it.

Personally I'd only use buzzers and spider patterns though, they work as well and sight bobs etc. are a bit too close to float fishing for me.

Apart from that it would not be a legal method in competition over here.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I was fishing one buzzer at 2.5 foot one at 5 foot and a goldhead at 7.5 foot (the fish took this ). Was using a floating line with the sight indicator just after the braided loop. Some anglers seem to do very well with this method, some days it seems to be the only method that works I want to improve my approach if possible.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Peter,

Your set up seems to be near right for the use of a 'sight bob' with three flies.

What I use is immitative patterns, nothing bigger than a size 12 and as small as 22 , nymph patterns. The sight indicator that I use is infact a 'dry fly', say maximum size 12, slim thread body(Colour) Black, Red,Olive, Brown, Orange,(imitating a hatching insect) red antron pole, 1/2" long (fish don't seem to mind the colour) and a parachute hackle around the pole (colour to match the body) to make it byoyant, add some floatant to it, this is a fishing fly and I can also use it as an indication that something is at the nymph infront. I only use one nymph with this method and the leader can be anything up to 14 feet long or as short as a foot,from the Dry to the nymph. The dry is anything up to six feet away from the line, up to 14 ft depending on the depth the fish are feeding at. If the Dry is 14 foot away from the flyline then the fish are up in the water, and the distance from the dry to the nymph is shortened to a couple of feet, so that I can get a turnover in the casting .I reverse this if the fish are deeper. When I fish from the boat on the drift, I use Flurocarbon leader 6lb 8lb up to 20 feet long, again nymphs slim in build up to three tied at 5 feet intervals from the point back towards the floating flyline, cast these out infront of the boat and keep a straight line, no more than 20 yards, rod pointing down at the water, keep in touch by slowly figure of eighting just to keep contact, do not retreive them, fish take them on the drop or static and you will feel the line going tight or even a knocking just as if they were taking a worm.

Greg,

This is a legal method in competition. Two flies one 'dry' one 'nymph'. I suspect that it is one of the manufactured 'sight bobs' you are referring to when you liken it to float fishing, if yes, then that would not be allowed in competition....but my method would.

Gwilym Hughes