Mullet - which flies work

Starvinmarvin

Thanks everyone for your help. Leon I have printed out the article from your link , a bit of reading on the train tonight.

If all else fails I'll make sure that I have some chicken sandwiches in the bag, eh Alan!

I have to admit to tying a couple of maggot like flies, but for some reason they keep going green after a few days and before using them, might just give them a go anyway.

Tight Lines

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi all,

A small piece of 35mm film (Olive Coloured)cut to an irregular shape and glued onto a size 16 hook, greased up and floated down dead drift into the feeding area in harbours where there is some riffley water works (Sometimes)!!

It represents the small pieces of algae breaking away from stones etc.

Gwilym Hughes

Gwilym Hughes:

Hi all,

A small piece of 35mm film (Olive Coloured)cut to an irregular shape and glued onto a size 16 hook, greased up and floated down dead drift into the feeding area in harbours where there is some riffley water works (Sometimes)!!

It represents the small pieces of algae breaking away from stones etc.

Gwilym Hughes

i like your thinking there - an algae fly !

must try that - but how small is small ?

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

As I have said before my only experience withn fly caught mullet is with thin lips.Streamer type flys and long marabou tailed flys work best for me,in fact I have found flies far more productive for thins than bait.The fly gives you an advantage over the traditional baited spinner as it can be fished slower and in shallower water.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Algae fly, I'm on the case, will keep you informed!

Starvinmarvin

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Facinating stuff guys!...well I've got Starvin here in Wales for the next 9 days so we're hoping to try a bit of the above advice...If the weather allows...which is not looking too good at present...but it won't stop us trying!!!

Thanks for firing the imagination and I'll be sure to report any success that Starvin and I have!

Tite Lines All

Art

Good luck guys.

Give the "Baby Doll" a try, easy to tie, just need white wool. Though out a fly of the 80's and not used so often these day most tackle shops should have a few. Dunk it to make it sodden to sink, or gink it up to make it float.

You could try the artifical bread. However, I gave it a go in the South of France a couple of weeks ago but could see in the clear water they did not want to know. And that applied to even the smallest uneducated fish. Swopped back to the "real" bread and back came the bites.

Look forward hearing how you got on.

Andrew Boyd

• 2 weeks later...

We went shore fishing about an hour before high tide, beachcasters and bait in hand only to be met with a frenzy of activity about 15ft from the shore, bait fish leaping everywhere and being forced from one side of the bay to the next, this lasted for about a half hour. Art and I were annoyed that we hadn't brought our fly rods along, I hooked one of the little bait fish all 60mm of it, Art is now busy trying to tie a look alike.

Took my kids down a couple of nights later, sadly it was too windy for the fly rods, but the kids 4 and 5 years old managed to get some Mackeral and Horse Mackeral between them and are now well and truly hooked on fishing.

Sadly that was it for the fishing, as we had storms nearly every night from then on.

Art is going to give the venue a few more goes with his wife, and I'll be trying a mark on the south coast near to Chichester. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers All

Starvinmarvin

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Algae fly and a weed fly mmmmm!Tiny bunch of green maribou tied onto a 12 or 14. will tie a few up and try them next week around the drummore area. Wish me luck,I will report back the results of the experiment chaps.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy