Fly casting help please

Alan Taylor

Hi all,

I now have the rod, reel, line and fly's, next stage is learning to cast

Does anyone have a fly casting video they can sell me?

Living in Holland makes it difficult to take lessons and expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

That looks like a good site despite the name!

I'm 'self taught' from a book & by all acounts have a good 'action'.

I practiced on a lawn casting onto a plate as my target, (use an old line!)

Most common problems I've seen are:- is not waiting long enough on the back cast.

Hand & Rod going past 90°(put rod butt in your sleeve).

Releasing line from hand too early.

I have taught a few over the years and it takes just a few hours to get the action & into fish.

One thing.

ALLWAYS WEAR GLASSES!

either polaroid or clear 'safety' glasses, getting a hook out of a finger is nasty,

an ear - tricky (wear a hat)

but an eye!!!!.....

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I prefer Lefty Kreh's method rather than the traditional style. I've tried to teach myself from a book. I manage OK but more illustations would have been helpful. I've looked for a video unsuccessfully but I fear that even if I could find one it would be in American format.

Oh, and don't forget Toggle's advice re glasses!

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

fisherman:

I can`t help with any videos Alan but take a look here,

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

Never know but should give you a fair insight into trying to get the damn line out.

Dave

Thanks Dave/all it looks like a good start, it says to stick the rod butt in your sleve, there is not that much butt on my rods :confused:

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

try using a belt round your wrist (there are gadgets to buy but a belt works just as well) you will have to put a hole in the belt to get the right tightness unless you have got a very small waist and fat wrists

Hi again Alan,

I started learning how to cast this past January. Actually picked up quite a bit from Sexyloops. Anyway my point being you can't do any better than get out there and try it. The belt and sleeve idea is bit awkward.

I've never had any lessons but seem to do quite well. A friend of mine came down to the river to see how I was doing on Saturday. I had only caught one brown in 3 hours, (usually I have about 6) The R. Laver to look at is quite small. Typically 8-10 meters wide. I had been reluctant to go underneath the trees because of my casting ability. I'm not very accurate. Anyway ideally you want to be able to cast with both hands. My friend showed me how to cast forward but release on the back cast so you really don't need to be ambidextrous. It helps if you have someone to watch. I apologize for rambling.

Posted Image

[ 30. August 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

• 4 months later...