Sad news

chesters1

Before kicking off at management, look at the unions. They forced the dockyards and mines and all industrial and manufacturing companies to pay more in wages or they would strike. What happened?

The U.K. could no longer compete on the world market because we were too greedy in the short term and priced our country out of the market!!

The same thing is happening now with companies moving to India, Indonesia etc.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Very sad, but not surprising. Intrepid reels were never very exciting and the rump of Intrepid i.e British Fly Reels didn't didn't invest that much in R & D.

Even worse perhaps is the news that ABU are now assembling Ambassaduer multiplier reels in Taiwan from Swedish parts, a good source claims that the production of parts will be transferred very shortly too...

It wasn't that long ago that ABU were in the frame for producing one of the best fixed spool reels ever in the Suveran. Production of the Suveran ceased last year and all ABU fixed spool reels are now made in China.

Intrepid had the "british" disease ,they led the world for a few years and the R&D faultless but just being world leaders and great inivitators (sp?) gave way to quantity rather than quality ,sitting on your hands and geting behind isnt good business and bad management set off the decline .BFR was part of the remainder of Intrepid devoted to fly reels but fly reels compared to fixed spool and multiplyers is small fry and despite reels still fashionable after 40 years it wasnt enough

ABU acted very strangly ,they had the best closed faces that existed but brought out strange clunking 507 gold max's and frail 704's ,what should have happened is they should have improved the 1044 (i think the best ABU closed face) instead they made the max 3 times the weight and twice the size

:confused:

their early reels were uninspiring the only advantage a rear drag knob but improved with the cardinals now as with most its cut costs at all cost and bugger the quality and lose the tradename and its benefits

[ 24. November 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Quote from Kleinboet:- Before kicking off at management, look at the unions. They forced the dockyards and mines and all industrial and manufacturing companies to pay more in wages or they would strike.

I agree to a point, but in some cases unions were manipulated by management and forced into strike action to attempt to protect their jobs, which were already (as we now know) half way to the far east.

You are never going to compete with cheap labour from the 'third' world, however we can and should be able to control the dividends and fat cat payments and by innovation and investment use our skills to produce quality desirable goods like we do for Nissan in sunderland for example.

Britain has one of the best workforces in the world being led by a bunch of greedy cats with poor management skills.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

kleinboet:

Before kicking off at management, look at the unions.  They forced the dockyards and mines and all industrial and manufacturing companies to pay more in wages or they would strike.  What happened?

The U.K. could no longer compete on the world market because we were too greedy in the short term and priced our country out of the market!!

The same thing is happening now with companies moving to India, Indonesia etc.

But that's the point I was making - albeit from the other side of the same argument....

Weak management enabled the unions to wreak havoc. Look how their luddite tendencies prevented Fleet Street modernising, look at how the dock industry died on it's feet..... Anybody remember the fact that The Times was off the street for over a year - which led to it's being taken over by Murdoch and it's decline as a readable newspaper.

As I said earlier, the litho print industry is dying on it's feet - the strongest performers are those small / medium size businesses usually without union presence. The majority of the volume work - which begats the profitable short-run print jobs that support a publication (fliers, leaflets, etc) have gone to E. Europe and the Far East - taking the smaller volume supporting work with it. I carry a union card - so I can do my job, but that is exactly where the benefit of membership ends.

One poster on here has a sig. 'never give a sucker an even break' - that's exactly the scenario between the unions and weak, incompetent managers and poor negotiators.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

err fly reels and B.F.R. :confused:

quote:

I carry a union card - so I can do my job, but that is exactly where the benefit of membership ends.
Sogat???

in 196somthing i was the youngest "FOC" in SOGAT ,i worked in a printing ink manufactureres in london and it was a closed shop (as they were then) i was white collar and was the only male amoungst 40 odd women ,i couldnt be under the wing of the blue collar FOC and certainly not under the womens FOC so a trip across blackfriers bridge to NATSOPA/SOGAT house and i was "sworn" in as a pucker FOC not bad for a 15 year old ,i suspect several rules were bent and some ignored just to keep it all union :D

[ 27. November 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sogat???

'fraid so.

I found them far less bolshie than NATSOPA - perhaps it was because Bob Litherland and Brenda Dean actually saw sense.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• 1 month later...