new rod

phil dean

got the thumbs up for a new rod for grilse and sea trout (and the odd 4lb brownie). Looking at a single handed 10' 10 weight rod, john norris have one in a kit with line and reel for £64, rod on its own is £62.

A local shop has a greys marked as £139 but they'll sell for £100 as a mach 2 version is due out.

On the basis that I rarely catch , do i go for the greys or make do with the shakespeare (leaving some change for a telescopic spinning rod to replace the one I broke in cuba)

any other suggestions welcome.

btw

I only have a light 4-5 weight fly rod at the moment so this would be a new "expidition" in rods to stop me spending all my time spinning (which I'm getting bored with)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shakespeare fly rods can be a bit hit and miss. They are either rare little gems or mostly floppy wands. I have a couple of Greys lure rods and very satifying they are. I know its a bit more dosh but I'm sure you'll appreciate the difference a few more quid can make. Incidentally John Norris have the Greys Greyflex range marked down from £139 to £79.

[ 05. January 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

that may just swing it, effectively it's only £15 more.......let's hear it for them guys in cumbria.

btw, what backing should I use, I'm tempted tp stick on 25lb braid (ie carp gear) rather than the normal wimpy backing i use on the trout rod.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

When buying fly rods its worth considering if they have a form of breakage guarantee i use a sage and orvis, they both come with a 25 year guarantee, ive broken may cheaper rods then had to buy new ones but when i broke the sage i just sent it back and got it replaced, they may be more pricey but in the long run they could end up the cheaper option.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Just a thought have you had a flick with a 10 weight?

I havn't, but have a try with an 11 weight Orvis TLS and that was one stiff rod, not sure I'd enjoy using it that much.

On the Greys front the GRX's are going half price at the moment there is an ad in this month's Trout fisherman, can't tell you the shop name as I can't remember.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

The Grey's for under a ton looks a great buy!

Best to spend as much as you can on the rod & then upgrade the reel later.

I've 'upgraded' to a 8-10 this year from my old 4 & 6 and could not believe how far I could cast!

Modern rods are not the 'beasts' of old and I can happily fish all day with the more powerful rod.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Phil go for the Greys rod it will be the better bet.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

When buying fly rods its worth considering if they have a form of breakage guarantee i use a sage and orvis,

Should have mentioned that this Greys rod has an unlimited lifetime guarantee. Even against my kind of stupidity. One of my lure rods met the car door last year. I sent back the pieces, a new replacement arrived in days for the price of the postage. Go on Phil, find me a reason not to buy one :)

25lb braid should do fine for backing although for a heavier line I'd feel more comfortable with salmon weight backing (30lb plus)

I have a 10 weight Redington titanium which is about as 'modern' (and light) as they come. You can cast them for long periods but at the end of the day you'll definitely know what your right arm is for. I wouldnt plan on a game of darts afterwards.

[ 06. January 2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

just had a look on the site, the greyflex only comes in a 7-8 weight, will that be too light for my needs (i was working on getting the 10 weight you may recall)

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY