new rod

phil dean

Phil, I checked the Greys website and theres no mention of a ten weight in any of their models. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Shakespeare ten weight either. Are you sure that the John Norris kit is a Shakespeare. Other thing....why do you need a ten weight for grilse/sea trout? I would have thought an eight weight adequate for most circumstances

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil,

Shakespeare do make a 10# I have one! It's the Xtra Power Special fly.

Nice rod and well finished comes with a Cordura tube as well. I got mine for Pike Fishing but it would be fine for Salmon and Grilse. Probably stop one of those Snook/Bone things as well.

Nice to have a lifetime guarantee, but that's why you pay £600 for a Sage or Loomis. It's got nothing to do with quality, it's just to cover the cost of replacing them.

One thing's for sure £100 or £600 it's the person fishing with it that catches the fish not the rod. It's the rod that can catch the angler.

Colin [Rod cynic, incase you hadn't guessed]

here's a conundrum, we actually get a run of decent salmon ass well as grilse (upwards of 25lb), the sea trout can also run big (mid teens) so a local angler recommended a 10 weight.

the shop i saw the greys in were recommending that I use a 10 weight rid (the £100 rod), hence I assumed that that is what I would need.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

thanks for that colin, but my main issue now is what weight rod to got for if I can get an 8 weight greys with a guarantee for less than the super oojimaflip from shakespeare which may leave me overgunned.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

phil dean:

thanks for that colin, but my main issue now is what weight rod to got for if I can get an 8 weight greys with a guarantee for less than the super oojimaflip from shakespeare which may leave me overgunned.

That's the decision only you can make!

Good luck and I hope it works out OK.

What part of the country do live in? Sportfish have a Pike Fly day on the 22nd of Jan at their Reading shop. It could be a good time to try one out if you are anywhere close.

Colin

I do not know the area you are fishing but it is always wise to take her out for a test drive before you buy it. Personally I like an undersized rod. It makes the fight more fun. If the fight is over to quickly then you will be doing a lot more casting and less fish fighting. Go light if you can. Also when buying a rod you get what you pay for. If it is on sale great, other wise you are just buying a cheap(er) fly rod.