Killer Flies 2004

Guest franticfisherman2

Jim, thanks for your list of flies. I'll admit to fishing a pink blob occasionally - good aren't they! I see the rio midge tip is a floater with a 1 metre intermediate sink tip. I might be tempted come my birthday - any tips on fishing with it would be interesting to see........FF2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The midgetip is handy, fish it like a floater dead slow with the usual nymphs, or in a wind again like a floater but youll find the line grips the water and dosnt skate as much as a pure floater. In aflat calm it gives you a chance to fish the flies near the surface with less disturbance, its a great line honest, mind you if you know any one with an old clear intermediate, you could chop ayard of it, put on some loops and make one for a try ,(before you shell out the 47. 50 that is)

Guest PhilB

Thanks - I've got some of those sinking leaders that attach to floating lines but none are intermediate - I may buy one or chop up an old intermediate and give it a go. Will let you know how I get on but it will be a while if the weather stays like this!

not at all took youngest son out to the other side of aberdeen yesterday, first trout that he has cast to himself 4lb , now wants to pack in school and be a full time guide, at 11 no less. Get out amonst them I say.

jim doyle:

not at all took youngest son out to the other side of aberdeen yesterday, first trout that he has cast to himself 4lb , now wants to pack in school and be a full time guide, at 11 no less. Get out amonst them I say.

Time for a bit of "er, like, er, non-apparent" parental non-advice, Jim.

Guides, in my experience, even the very best (here and abroad), end up loathing (sooner, rather than later) not only the 'meat-'n'-one-veg' (i.e. the clients), but fishing itself. Keep him fishing for fish, Jim, not for glory or for pecuniary reward. Just do all you can, in a Non-Cool-Dad sorta way, to get him out there when he wants and to allow him to make of fishing what he will. Good luck!

[ 01. March 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Thanks paul, its awhile since we spoke,just before your first trip after masheer I believe, I was being a little frivolus with my comments on roberts asperations, he would volanteer for a trip to mars if it meant a day out of school. Ive taken both kids fishing for as long as they have been able to walk, sunday was the first time he had started to cast , instead of just retreving one of my casts. The eldest, kevin, is very proficent and has taken his love of fishing to the point of getting a job on a fish farm which he loves. Neither youngster has been forced to fish but Ive always tried to take them places that are interesting and where theyve a chance of a fish, its worked up to now.