Braid to swivel knot?

GlennB

Is there any good reason this can't be done by a simple loop-to-loop method?

Eventually it occurs to me that the line of the braid loop is lying over itself in two places and may be prone to cutting itself under pressure.

I've been using a palomar, but that tends to bind and be resistant to sliding down to form a tight knot at the swivel.

Advice appreciated

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Answered your own question really Glenn.

The trick with braid particularly low diameter braid, is to double over the length of braid that you intend to tie the knot in and then use your favourite knot to tie the doubled braid to the swivel. Nothing wrong with a palomar. The double line snugs down relatively easily, reduces slippage, and its now two strands lying over two strands, which cushions any tendency to cut into itself. On the down side its a slightly bulkier knot, but no bulkier than the swivel in front.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

GlennB:

I've been using a palomar, but that tends to bind and be resistant to sliding down to form a tight knot at the swivel.

Have you tried lubricating the line with saliva after you get the knot started but before you snug it down? That seems to work for me.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The Palomar is a brilliant knot but I'd have to go along with Will here. Since I started using the grinner knot, I've used little else.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I used to use the grinner, but for surgical reasons I use the palomar and have only had it fail once. And that was my own fault.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I've strayed from the sea forum!

All we use is braid for boat fishing and now only use the palomar. When you get hooked up on the bottom whilst drifting at 6 knots you need a good knot to get your gear back. Before the palomar we tried various grinner/uni knots with lots of turns but they parted at suprisingly low b/s.

Now we use the palomar exclusively, no problems :D

I can't speak to the grinner with braid but last summer, I did some line strength testing of 15, 30, & 50 lb power pro just to satisfy myself about the real b/s when compared to the listed b/s on the package.

Palomar knot to swivel at both ends of a 3 ft section of line and 10 tries with each b/s. I think I had 2 of the 30 break at the knot and all the others broke somewhere in the center of the line. Based on that and on the ease of tying a palomar, I think I'll stay with it for swivel attachment and for hook attachment if I'm not using a knotless knot.

In case you are interested, all the tests showed a higher b/s for the line than the package indicated.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

I can't speak to the grinner with braid but lastI think I had 2 of the 30 break at the knot and all the others broke somewhere in the center of the line.

I prefer my line to break at the knot - so as not to leave loads of line trailing from snags if I have to pull for a break. I therefore use a four turn uni knot without doubling the line. I accept that this means the line has it's effective breaking strain weakened, but seeing as that is probably twice or more what I would be using in mono to start with, even if halved I am still left with a stronger and finer line.

As an aside I have never found the Palomar to be easy to tie well. It never seems to snug down no matter what I do, and I always end up with a loop sticking out of it somewhere.

Dave

dlstsig.png