Bye bye Scottish West Highland sea-trout

Sandison

I've seen that impact.A wild trout loch 5 mins from my door that i fished since i was a kid was totally destroyed by the stocking of pike.The **** that done it was quite open and proud of his actions.His reason??His own local water was too easy. :mad: What a **** :mad:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well

I'm going Pike fishing in the morning in a Loch that contains a good head of Pike as well as a healthy stock of Brown Trout.

I will be using 2 or possibly 3 rods, in rests with bite alarms so I will be breaking the law

Just so you don't get the idea that I am a pike angler at the expense of everything else, this week has been a good one. Sea fishing on Sunday, wild brownies on Monday, stocked Rainbows on Wednesday and Pike on Saturday so I have a fairly substantial boot in both camps and can hopefully see both sides of the question.

I have just finished reading a story about the authenticated capture in 1963 of a 40lb + pike from a small lochan up near Peterhead by a 16 year old who had been told that there were no pike in the Loch, only trout :)

I know of many lochs where Pike and trout co-exist quite happily.

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The game fraternity moan about pike. They have a bloody nerve. They openly have introduced several species to the UK for THEIR enjoyment, often to the detriment of other indigenous species. Pheasant, French Partridge to name but 2 , never mind rainbow trout.

In addition , most birds of prey were practically wiped out to "protect" grouse moors or other game interests.

Yes Corrydoras, any law which is out of date , archaic and is no longer justified should be changed. hence we no longer burn witches, bait badgers or poison birds of prey(at least not legally). Yes I know you can kill immature trout "set lining" but the same can happen to pike if bite detection is poor, or non existant....assholes will be assholes, you can see 'em every day at Loch Earn. But the action of some shouldn't prevent others from using rod rests properly. The law is often openly ignored anyway.Because it is unsustainable.

kreid:

The game fraternity moan about pike. They have a bloody nerve. They openly have introduced several species to the UK for THEIR enjoyment, often to the detriment of other indigenous species. Pheasant, French Partridge to name but 2 , never mind rainbow trout.

In addition , most birds of prey were practically wiped out to "protect" grouse moors or other game interests.

Yes Corrydoras, any law which is out of date , archaic and is no longer justified should be changed. hence we no longer burn witches, bait badgers or poison birds of prey(at least not legally). Yes I know you can kill immature trout "set lining" but the same can happen to pike if bite detection is poor, or non existant....assholes will be assholes, you can see 'em every day at Loch Earn. But the action of some shouldn't prevent others from using rod rests properly. The law is often openly ignored anyway.Because it is unsustainable.

Yeah, Kreid, it was all Mrs Mortimer's fault -

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/books/08...agewanted=print

and yet couldn't even bring herself to mention Scots...

Still, I'm off to fish for a few days with some smelly people in the morning.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Can you do that though Bruce? Most of us are just here as ourselves (real name or not) but IMHO you can't just sit down with a cuppa and talk straight; you are not just Bruce Sandison, but also the SFPG, and therefore you can't just talk straight; at least not here on a public forum.

Chris Pendleton.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net