Where do brownies come from?

Big Troot

The interesting thing about the brownie is that wherever in the world the Victorians and their predecessors colonised, they took brown trout with them for their own amusement. I've caught them in Kenyan streams and various parts of the USA. I saw them but couldnt catch them in the Atlas mountains of Morocco and of course they're all over Australasia.

The world record is an Arkansas fish from the Little Red River. 40lb 4ozs caught on ultralite spinning gear. 4lb line and a 1 gram lure. Imagine the fight.

Northern Arkansas seems favourite for big brownies, the Ozark mountains having now thrown up three world records, the other two from the White river. Probably from a stocking of brownies originating in Germany.

This is the record holder with its captor Duane Hada, sadly stuffed. I would have preferred to have seen Duane stuffed.

duanehada-replica-worldrecordbrowntrout-400.jpg

[ 29. May 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhilB

The ferox lochs I have fished also have a good population of minnows. When the smaller brownies start to feed on these they will pack on weight and soon be big enough to handle larger prey such as char. In Ireland, coarse fish fry such as perch, roach and rudd seem to be the "stepping stone" to feeding on larger prey.

Guest PhilB

I believe it's the same fish with different habits. A bit like the difference between seatrout and brown trout.

i'd always thought that they were different fish to browns, but the differences only became apparent when they grow to a decent size? hence small ferox can be caught and are usually if not always assumed to be browns

"A ferox trout is is a trout which has turned cannibal. Juvenile trout live on insects and grubs, but when a brown trout reaches about 12" in length it can change diets. At that size it can catch and eat other fish up to half its own length. Such a sizeable meal is rich in protein and may require less effort to obtain. As a result trout which discover this food source soon pack on the weight. Growth curves which may have been gentle can now explode. Not very many trout take this option, perhaps due to a lack of prey fish. Some lochs such as Rannoch are famous for their ferox, these lochs often have good heads of charr and perch as a food source"

http://www.fishingnet.com/brown_trout.htm