Fly Fishing help

dave n

Dave, welcome to AN, there are several similar threads posted on AN try 'search' it may help you with choices of rod reel line etc...

I have recently taken up fluff chucking and found an hours professional tuition for around £20 is invaluable even if you think you can cast!

Budget... 1. Buy the best rod and line you can afford, you must get a balanced rod and line this is where the tackle dealer will assist. 2. Pretty much any reel of the right size (AFTM No.)will do to start with.

Your initial choice of #6-7 rod would be fine even #4-5 for small rivers and lakes.

As for flies, ask where you fish whats hot etc...

I bought a selection of buzzers, wets, dries and nymphs, plenty available mail order, its a bit like floats you always buy them 'cos they look the dogs bits but then you never get around to using half of them.

Don't forget the polaroids and hat, a fly in the face ain't funny.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree, get the best Rod and Line you can afford. If you buy cheap and then find you like fly fishing (very likely :) ) you will soon want something better, and you won't be able to give the cheap stuff away. Don't economise too much on the line either, a good line makes a big difference to your casting. #6-7 would be very suitable for most things.

To start with, buy a few flys at the fishery, they will know what is favourite (have a look in the fishing log for ideas)

Good luck and enjoy

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

dave n:

Gents,

Many thanks for the tips....much appreciated

The tackle is the easy bit.

If you let what those fish might be eating enter into your consciousness (plus the Where, the When, let alone the WHY?), then you're scuppered...

Flydressing follows, you see ... some of it utilitarian, then (sadly for someone) increasingly speculative...

Gets into your head, you see?

"The wife" might have to go (boilies merely supply a brief domestic pong; it's what she suspects - KNOWS - that is going on quietly inside your head that is FAR FAR worse...).

Lilo ladies (your choice - blonde, brunette, real or otherwise) she can handle, but thinking about flies...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

My advice - have a look on ebay. There are some great 2nd hand fly rods - look for a 9ft+ rod with AFTM #7. That should cover you for the most general fishing. A good quality line is vital otherwise it will coil and no be that pleasurable or effective to fish with.

You can save money on the reel as they essentially hold line and no more - it's nice to have a good reel, but not a neccessity. I'd concur with every other posting re:fly choice. Collect as you go and fish more waters.

This would be a great start (click on this link):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7164296329&rd=1

Hope it helps.

Dave,

Line quality is usually driven by price, so a £40 line will normally perform better than a £5.99 one.

Backing is normally about 50/75 yards of dacron (for eg.) line wound onto the reel first then the fly line is attached to it before being wound on.

Some lines come with backing already attached.

Reels merely hold the line and all this disc drag stuff is a waste of money.

In general, as Ian says, the more you pay the better you get. I quite like the Shakespear lines which are really well priced but good - I think they come under the 'Worcestershire' brand. I believe you can pick them up for thirty quid. That link to ebay is a cracker - the rod is a nice rod - I know as I have a couple of the Whisker Daiwa rods. They RRP for £90ish.

Whatever you do, don't buy an Airflo floating line, no matter how good the offer seems to be. If they were free they would be overpriced

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/