• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third time lucky

rod02.pdd

or not :)

[ 11. October 2005, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Sportsman ]

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman - try again, but rename your file to get rid of the gap between "rod" and "0.1"

ie

that should work - if not, appeal to Newt

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I find this thread interesting, i have always used #8 and recently moved down to #7.

I recently bought an 8'6" #5-6 but I guess I will be waiting for next season to try it, even this seems ridiculously light.

Where can can you buy such light lines you mention?

I would appreciate a nod if you ever put any very light rods on ebay.

by the way the image you are trying to post has the file extension .pdd which I have never heard of, perhaps if you converted it to .jpg it might work. Also rename the file before posting without gaps so it should look like this: rod01.jpg

Well I picked up an Orvis Wonderline WF 2 wt, yesterday at their Stockbridge sale, £19 so now all I need to find is a reel, sadly all they had were 8/9's at £250 (half price)

Ian FG, I was a little worried about finding a 2wt, hadn't really thought about the line.

Finally made a proper start on the build last night managed to whip the top section's guides and it's looking good :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Small Reels;

I had a CFO1 for my onewight, about £200 - a gem stolen by a tenant.

Bought an Orvis Clearwater 3/4 in the Orvis factory shop, less than £20 inc. spare reel - not the same thing at all but does the job.

Happened upon a small Wickhams, more pleasing in an aesthetic sense, pretty engineering, £25

What do you chaps feel about reels: are they merely a line-holder or should they add more than that to the day's fishing?

habilis, definately they should add to a days fishing. I have several run of the mill line holders, Greys GRX . I also have a couple of top end works of art, the main one being an ARI HART. this is fabulous. I,v also got a Hardy and an Orvis Large Arbour, both nice reels , but the Hart different class.

I was using my lightest set up at the weekend at Kiplin Hall. This was an 8'6" 4-5 wt with a double taper 4 floater. I know this sounds heavy compared to one and two weights but I struggled to cast far enough when the wind got up a bit. I did get 3 fish on it tho on buzzers and went up to a WF six to cast into the wind. The main thing I like about light lines which I don't think has been mentioned here, is that the fish take hold of the fly and swim off confidently - they don't seem to notice the weight of the line they are dragging behind them! You would have to be asleep to not know you had a take! :) I may try a 5WF next time. I am using an old Dragonfly 60 reel - very light with a good disc drag and good for playing fish off the reel.

I have a Orvis Clearwater on my 5wt, it's too light and doesn't balance the rod very well, but it was very good value for money, £12.50 (last years Stockbridge sale)

As for the 2wt decision is yet to be made.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com