double hook rigs ( part 2)

Guest Leigh R

Guest Leigh R

I picked up a copy today of Januarys issue of "coarse angling today".

In it is an article written by an angler called Stef Horak. Its about fishing for bream (14lb+)on a water called Linch hill which has a good head of carp as well.

The article describes the use of double hook rigs.

After the previous thread on 2 hook rigs, i thought that my question on the use of this technique must have been born from ignorance due to the logical responses to the unsafe nature of these rigs.

If a magazine which will be read by young anglers and beginners is allowing an unsafe technique (potentualy) to be promoted does it point to the lack of a code of conduct in content monitoring within the magazine world?

Like this forum is their no monitors for these publications?

It strikes me that there could be allot of damage done by articles that could undo any good work by other organisations or individuals.

I am not saying that I have an answer, and maybe I am expressing some ignorance here as I have only been back in the fishing scene for a few months, but I would be interested to see what you guys think.

[This message has been edited by Leigh R (edited 31 December 2001).]

Leigh,

If the article had been about fishing for Pike using two trebles and small deadbaits on a water that also contains carp would you still be starting this thread?

Guest Leigh R

Eddie

In truth, probably not.

But as I have said, I am a novice who has a lot to learn, but that will not stop me asking questions or expressing opinions, that after all is what the forum is for, and I for one enjoy learning through this media.

I have never fished for pike, and wonder from what direction your question came? I wonder if the same concerns used with the type of rig you describe is the same as them that exist with a 2 hook rig used for other species, that would have a fairly long trailing 2nd hook link?

Also perhaps you could tell me, do predator anglers catch carp on their dead/live baits?

------------------

Leigh

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, I know Linch Hill (nr Stanton Harcourt, Oxford) quite well.

They have 3 lakes, Stoneacres, Christchurch and Willow, all of which contain some whopping fish.('Pettles' for one!)

I've seen the double figured Bream sucking the tops off of our pop-ups on Stoneacres.

Yes, it is worrying that perhaps a Carp could pick up a two hook rig, but like all things with fishing, it's all about risk factors.

Obviously fishing for Bream the gentleman concerned would probably be using smallish hooks and lightish hooklinks which is different to using a double hook carp setup with bigger, stronger hooks and heavier lines.

Derek and his Bailiffs are very vigilant and wouldn't allow anyone to do anything to jeopardise his stock of cracking fish.

At least with you (Leigh) asking your questions on here we can all help to prevent unnecessary risks. wink.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Originally posted by Leigh R:

Eddie

In truth, probably not.

But as I have said, I am a novice who has a lot to learn, but that will not stop me asking questions or expressing opinions, that after all is what the forum is for, and I for one enjoy learning through this media.

I have never fished for pike, and wonder from what direction your question came? I wonder if the same concerns used with the type of rig you describe is the same as them that exist with a 2 hook rig used for other species, that would have a fairly long trailing 2nd hook link?

Also perhaps you could tell me, do predator anglers catch carp on their dead/live baits?

Leigh,

Curiosity just curiosity. There seems to be a movement of late to elevate carp above all other species and to decry the methods used to catch other species if it at all conflicts with their ideas. Match anglers have used two hook rigs successfully for years on waters were it is allowed. Fly anglers too use multiple dropper setups and successfully catch their fair share of course fish.

Guest Steve Burke

I haven't seen the article but I imagine that Stef is advocating two baits each with a single hook. This I'm not happy with and ban at Wingham.

OTOH, a snap tackle for pike consists of 2 trebles on one bait. This is rarely picked up by fish such as carp. Thus it's a different kettle of fish altogether (no pun intended).

I do catch a lot of carp on deadbaits up to 4" long when after perch and chub. However, I'm then using one single hook only, although not with a wire trace as this puts off the target fish. If a pike bites me off it can easily get rid of one single hook.

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Leigh R

Eddie

I understand your opinion, but would like to express the following.

I am interested in the safety of all species and as such value the opinion of all anglers.

My original thread was asked out of curiosity and received many responses which lead me to the conclusion that this kind of rig was not to be used in the area of application i wished to use it for.

My concern in the article I today read (if I read it correctly) was that I could not see much difference between a 14lb bream and a 14lb carp and therefore the different concerns outlined to me would surly apply in fishing for this species.

By the way the original article was a very good read.

------------------

Leigh

Guest Gaffer
Originally posted by Eddie:

...There seems to be a movement of late to elevate carp above all other species and to decry the methods used to catch other species if it at all conflicts with their ideas...

Err, sorry Eddie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.

There's not a conflict of interest, it's just that carp anglers in general want more enphasis on fish care and fish safety.

Carp anglers have done more for fish care and safety than all other styles of fishing put together.

IMO Leigh is quite right to question why a two hook rig is acceptable for a 14lb Bream, but not for a 14lb Carp.

My answer to that would be that a Carp is far more powerfull than a Bream and more prone to get itself and the angler into difficulty.

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 31 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Gaffer:

Err, sorry Eddie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point.

Carp anglers have done more for fish care and safety than all other styles of fishing put together.

IMO Leigh is quite right to question why a two hook rig is acceptable for a 14lb Bream, but not for a 14lb Carp.

My answer to that would be that a Carp is far more powerfull than a Bream and more prone to get itself and the angler into difficulty.

Eddie appearing chastised

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif