swangey lakes norfolk

craig2309

• 1 year later...

if you are fishing for cats, buy the boilies off the bailiff.

Close up to the island is best,first turning on the left then go to the swim that looks at the island with the step down area, its about 80yds to the island, concentrate at the little opening in the trees.

Its a bit slow, but worth the wait.

Best of luck

I fancy a trip to Swangey but I've been put off because apparently it's plagued with rats anf they're not frightened to make themselves known to you.

Would be interested to know how you get on though 'cos I might brave it and arrange a social there later in the year.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just got back from a 48 hour trip to Swangey Lakes. It is the first time I have done such a session and the first time I have fished for Cats. Fishing with DDK we had hoped to fish the shallow end but this was taken. We had to go for a swim with easy accesibility as I have a slight mobility problem. We chose to fish a swim known as the beach, which is opposite the Island. It is toward the Car Park end of the lake opposite the track that leads to the Toilet and another lake.

I caught a 21 pound Cat at about 4 o clock Wednesday morning after the thunderstorm. This was caught from the left hand of the swim casting into a corner where there are no other swims. I caught it in on 4 Marine Halibut Pellet Boilies with pellets as loosefeed. Ledgered on a low resistance rig.

As far as the Rats go, I have nothing to report I fished alnight in an open shelter and did not see one. I can assure that If it was a major problem I would have noticed. I always ensure that the swim is clear of loose bait and all bait and food are well hidden. Perhaps I am just lucky but I feel it is worth giving it a go.

No Rats!!! now I'm getting interested again. I've heard Swangey wll give you a few runs, which is more than than I've had from the Woolpack recently. Did you see or hear anything about the carping????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

• 2 years later...

hey people,

im going to swangey lakes in like 3 weeks but ive just moved houses but dont have a clue how to fish it or wat bait to use???

so i was hoping for some advice from some of u experts out there :P

just post and say wat i need to do and wat peg i should pick etc......

luke

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: [/b]

hi all

i'm going to swangey lakes within the next month and would be grateful for any advice eg. tactics, bait, favoured swims etc

thanks in advance

craig

I have been fishing swangeys lake for a number of years now, if your after the cats try round the fare side of the island (with your back to the other lake) and fish to the two long gravel bars at about 80 to 90 yards range, fish the gully in the middle of the two bars, this is also a noted hot spot for the carp, just lately I have been having more luck fishing on the long bank and fishing just off to the right hand side of the second bar out, if you get the right spot your find just over 6ft of water, this seams to be a noted winter hot spot, also worth a go is a swim known as the double, as put in another thread this is down the first turning just before the car park, your find a swim with steps called the waterfall, (NEVER fish hear when its raining trust me, I found out the hard way, flooded out big time) to the left of that there is a swim big enough for two bivvies (the double) when standing in this swim your see there is a small gully on the island, this can be a hot spot but it also receives a lot of presser so keep that in mind, down to the left hand side of the swim there is a small bush that stands out about 3ft from the bank, about 3ft off the end of that there is a small clay hump, this spot has turned up a number of 30’s in the past for myself and a mate of mine (why I’m giving away all my secrets I don’t known but oh well this will be my last season on the water so someone mite aswell gane something from my time on the water) down the same bank there is another swim but its closed off, about 100 yards or so your see a line of trees, right in the corner where the tree line meets the bank there are some very snaggy branches, its well worth baiting up here about 2ft from the bank but fish locked up as they tend to head right for the snags, the other plus side of this spot is you can bait up from the bank and it’s a very over looked spot. Out in the middle of this swim about 40 yards of so from the corner of the island going to the left there is a small and I mean small gravel spot, it’s a bit of a sod to find at times but a couple of casts around with the lead should revile where it is, just on the fare side of this gravel hump there is a very deep silty spot, a chod rig cast hear with a 1inch pop-up works really well, or has done in the past.

Ok now down to bait.

I only really use 4 types/flavours depending on the time of year. I was lucky enough to field test the new SC25’s from tails-up along with 5 other people on the water and I must say, since changing over to this bait I have almost doubled my catch rate, I tend to use them in both 14mm and 18mm, feeding both sizes seems to confuse the carp so that they don’t know what baits have the hook in (good little tip for all waters).

Another bait I have found to work really well more so for the cats is provit liver also by tails-up, this bait was used a lot on the water when it first come out and did very well, even though its been blown a bit now it still accounts for a lot of fish again using both 14mm and 18mm baits or if I’m after the cats I used the 20mm and 25mm.

The one bait I would not leave home without when fishing hear has to be the good old sweat corn, you may catch a lot of tench and bream when using it but it has account for my 3 biggest fish at 37lb 4oz, 37lb 0oz and 32lb 9oz, when I say I use sweat corn I mean I use sweat corn, I’m talking in the range of 15 to 20kg every 24 hours, this may seem a lot but there are loads of tench and bream on this water and they soon mop the lot up, I also put out a lot of seed mix 10kg or so every 24 hours but sped this about as it seams to hold the fish in the swim for longer, you can use the fake corn or maize on the hook.

Ok my last bait has to be one of my favourites, the good tiger nut, when all else has failed the tiger nut has got me that bonus fish, I tend to use just one on the hair but scrape off the brown outer coating reviling the creamy white centre, also worth a try is to use two half’s of a tiger and spread them out on the hair using some pop-up foam when casting it out, this will leave them split apart on the bottom and seems to fool the more crafty carp.

Well I hope this helped and if you would like any more info you only have to ask.

Tight lines and all the best

gav

Edited by BigFishNut

Work Is For People That Dont Know How To Fish!!