were are all being taken for mugs

wots the difference between a £50 NASHY CHAIR AND A £300 chair elsewhere rip off or am i missing the point boilies £12 a kilo or £4 a kilo rip off or am i missing the point , come on boys lets talk about being ripped off its youre hard earned dosh.

TROUT PELLETS £4 kilo buy at farm for £12.50/56kilo DONT GET RIPPED OFF we need to know rip off we really do

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm… I can see your point, but at the end of the day it’s down to each individual to make their own decisions on which products or brand they buy.

If a product is highly priced, and does not stand up to long-term scrutiny, someone will only buy it once and word will soon get around – not good for brand loyalty. You may get newcomers into the sport falling for the hype on occasion, but again they will soon find their feet and stay away from these brands in the future.

In many cases I would say that you get what you pay for, but I agree that in some instances, it’s hard to justify the prices charged for some products on a ‘like for like’ basis.

I wonder if some of the problem might be development and set up costs, for example, suppose a company invests a shed load of cash on an ‘all new’ product. The retail price has to justify the amount spent on development costs in order that they can recoup their investment. Then suppose another company copies their product (which happens a lot) and does not have to bear the development costs so sells at a cheaper rrp – does this mean that the original company is ripping people off? – What’s more a copied product is not necessarily as good as an original!

With regard to bait, I guess you would buy a product that gives you confidence irrespective of price, and if it banks plenty of fish for you, then surly it’s a worthwhile investment. However, I reckon there is no substitute for shopping around!

In my area there are quite a few big angling stores, and the difference they charge for the same products is unbelievable, down to the overheads and profit margins I guess, but this is surly the retailer ‘ripping off’ than the manufacturer.

All I can say is that value for money products are plentiful if you look in the right places.

Julian

[ 04 May 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Julian ]

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

sorry mate i was talking about the blatent rip off merchants £250 pods etc £150 alarms

my biggest problem is kids coming into the sport feel they need the best kit and fork out loads only to be grossly disappointed its really angers me that the naviety and charm is being taken out by these people who are definately PUTTING INTO KIDS HEADS THAT THEY NEED TO HAVE ALL THE BEST STUFF which is a looads of tosh.

how many day ticket waters do you see that have kids bivvied up with big pit reels and transistor alarms but are fishing with **** bait because they only read the papers and are confused to hell we are all beind manipulated by the men at the top and it will kill fishing eventually mark my words hope all it wi :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ll mate

regsards

I've just been looking at Haiths web site and was amazed to find that the prices in the "bird" section are cheaper than the prices charged for the SAME products in the "Supercatch" section. Examples: 6kg of Tigers = £13.40 in the BIRD section. 6kg of Tigers = £16.80 in the SUPERCATCH section. 6kg of Tares = £4.78 in BIRD section. 6kg of Tares = £6.28 in SUPERCATCH section. I feel that charging two different prices for the same product is not on and possibly even elligal. Even i'm not bonkers enough to buy anything from HAITHS Supercatch. I do like the advise given on the back of the Supercatch brouchure by Julian Cundiff though "So take a tip from me and avoid the middle man and his markup and go direct to Haiths."!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CSL pellets@£3.50 per kilo

Ewe Nuts@£4.50 per 25 kilos

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

dont mention bivvys looking like tents :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think this is one case where we're not necessarily being ripped off. I know someone who used to do a lot of hiking and camping, and he reckons that most bivvies are built to a better standard than equivalent priced tents. Also, tents which may look like bivvies in a catalogue are often much lower, and therefore not really practical for fishing.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

In defense of Haiths and other similar outlets that have identical products at different prices, i think you will find it comes down to a tax issue (as well as Carp fishermen being easy game). I believe pet foods are either tax free or are certainly at a lower rate. not sure however why "Fish Food" doesn't count as pet food!

Chris

Press and Sponsorship Officer

Stoney and Friends

Cemex River Arun Head Bailiff

A couple of years ago I was told by a major tackle manufacturer that he sold his products to tackle shops at five times the cost price!!!! :mad: