Chard Reservoir

Wez

Hi there,

I have not fished Chard but i had a walk around a couple of weeks ago and had a chat with a couple of guys there. The stock is reasonable with fish to 27lb. Most of the lake is off limits with around 50 defined pegs available most of the year but aound half of them are out of bounds march through to june if i remember for some bird nesting. There is a sexy looking bay along the one whole bank that you can fish but all the other swims look unappealing to me and a quick plumb around showed no features with depths comming up from 16 feet-two feet in the margins. The swims that are out of bounds mar-june looked good but plumbing showed no features except massive underwater snags that cost me three marker floats in twenty minutes!

The lake gets very busy for most of the summer, i was told some swims are almost on a rota basis. Heavy baiting seems to be the going method with one guy teling me he is putting in 5-10 kilo's a session then topping up after every fish.

I was realy excited when i first looked at the lake but 55 acres with all these challanges for an upper twenty..i just can dedicate that much time and effort.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear m8, are you local to chard/axminster/lyme ? i know a couple of other lakes you might be interested in.

Craig

• 8 years later...

Hey Craig, im Connor and from just oustide axminster, i go sea fishing in lyme and seatown quiet a lot but ive never been freshwater/pond fishing before and i want to give it a go. anywhere you can recommend for me? Thanks

Connor - unless long session carping is what you have in mind, a post to the coarse section will be seen by lots more members who might be able to make suggestions.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Has anyone fished it?

Any info on stock, fish size, swims, tactics will be appreciated.

TIA

Wes

Wez,

My cousin fishes this alot as he lives in Chard, I will do some digging and see what I can find out for you.

Ian

Bringing this back up is there anybody that lives in the South of Somerset and has fished Perry street pond which is part of the Chard waters?

I'm thinking of joining Chard AA to fish Perry street as i've heard good things about it :)

Any info would be very useful, thanks :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."