Suffolk Stour

Lastcast

Hi Newbie here i just started thinking about taking up fishing again it must be nearly 20 years ago since i last done it,i dont really have a hobby so i thought i would see what gear i still have i do have quite abit. But what i would like help with is how can i make sure im lm fishing legal along the river stour it is close to me so it would be an ideal area i would want to fish would be between haverhill and glemsford also is there any free areas along there thanks.

Hi Lukey

I know this area like the back of my hand.

There is a small peice of free fishing in clare country park along side river to road bridge on belchamp road. Other than this I cannot think of any. The best bits are Haverhill angling club which is quite cheap.

They have a good section near wixoe and a very good stretch at stoke by clare although this end of the river is very much a winter venue when you have flow and colour.

otherwise try their haverhill flood park pond or the commercials near you.

regards

john

• 3 months later...

Hi John,

I used to fish at Dedham 30 years ago and have the bug to go fishing there again. Below the bridge opposite the cafe used to be free heading towards Flatford. Above the bridge (the mill pool) and the river section above that used to be day ticket. What bits are still free to fish and for those requiring a day ticket where can they be purchased from and what is the current cost. Thanks for your help

cheers

Steve

Hi John,

I used to fish at Dedham 30 years ago and have the bug to go fishing there again. Below the bridge opposite the cafe used to be free heading towards Flatford. Above the bridge (the mill pool) and the river section above that used to be day ticket. What bits are still free to fish and for those requiring a day ticket where can they be purchased from and what is the current cost. Thanks for your help

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

That area of the stour is not a bit I have fished a lot in the past as its 20 miles from me.

I did look at above Dedham mill last winter as I have joined CAPS to fish that end a lot more this winter.

I beleive the bit below dedham is still free but above is shared CAPS and CPS.

Sorry I cannot be more help but a call to a local tackle shop should answer it for you or maybe Wayne Baker will see your post as he knows more of that end.

Good luck

regards

John

Hi Lastcast, i used to live in Ipswich and fished most of the local waters as a member of Gaps and other clubs

You could try the river at Needham Market ( day ticket i think ) but there are some nice chub in there at the lakes area of the river where they have the picnic area.

The Gipping has some large carp but the river condition is poor and its a hard river to fish unless its changed alot in the last 3 years.

If you want a good club join Purdis fishig club or Kingfisher in Nacton ( if you can get in ) they are by far the best places in Ipswich to fish by a long stretch.

Hope this helps, nothing to add about the Stour but as you are Ipswich i thought this would be useful.